What about 43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about 43

What are you all's thoughts about using 43 single build to wind a strat set at a slightly higher DCR than the norm, say 6.9 to 7.3 or so. My thinking is the coil will be still small enough to retain the highs but make the overall tone a little smoother and sweeter by using the smaller 43.

Any thoughts or opinions??

I've wound sets to the standard number of turns using 43. They sound pretty damn good. The output is the same but they don't have the top end that 42 will give. Sweeter, more rounded.
    Last edited by J S Moore; 10-13-2008, 02:43 AM.
    www.tonefordays.com

Comment

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks Jon..... I imagine A2 would be a little too soft, A3 or A5 would be best I guess. Just tinkering around here. Sat on my ass most of the day, wound up a P90 for my Project Epi LP, was one of those 1 humbucker model converted to take 3 P90's, it's a cool little guit now.. Too bad it's plywood but it dont sound too bad...

Comment

Just for reference here is a set done with 43 gauge. They were made by accident, I was tired and not paying attention to the wire gauge. I was talking to a local musician who wanted a single coil that wasn't shrill in the top end and I happened to mention this set so he bought them. I had my doubts as to whether they would sound good but he loved them. It's a live clip and the first solo is about 1:45 in.

Click Here
        www.tonefordays.com

Comment

That's all I used to use, Solderon, whatever that is. The best sounding one was about 6.3K. Hotter ones sounded ok at the bridge, but my recent messing around with a Strat lead me to believe that just about anything will sound decent at the bridge. 43 isn't bad for bass pickups.

Comment

I like 43 for bridge position bass pickups because it has a bit more midrange.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X