Gibson P100 Pickup Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson P100 Pickup Wiring

Any of you guys familiar with the Gibson P100 pickups? Many years ago a very active Ampage member named Steve Ahola hosted a website called The Blue Guitar where he posted a ton of information on mods that he had done, along with a lot of other information, it was a great resource. Steve has since passed, and his site is no more. The reason for my post is, on his site he had instructions for clipping the wire to the bottom coil of P100 pickups. I followed those instructions on the pickups in an ES135 and have been very pleased with the results for years now. I mentioned that mod to some guys just the other day and they are asking me for details, but I really don't recall, it's been too long ago. Would anyone have knowledge about this mod? Any photos I could share with others. If I can't find anything I'll pull the covers off mine to get some photos, but I will be travelling for a few weeks and won't have the chance, so I thought I'd check here and see if anyone could help. Thanks, hasserl

I think the attached pdf is what you are looking for. I found it through the wayback, here: https://web.archive.org/web/20170705...lueguitar.org/
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thank you Greg! I actually did this on a guitar I have, but haven't played much overall. Improvement, absolutely. Maybe someone's ideal but that guitar sits in it's case for now. I'm going to put a pair of proper P-90's in it whenever I can prioritize it. The mod sounds good but it's still short of what could be had from real p-90's IMHO and JM2C.

My ideal, and I've asked about it here, would be to have a PAFish humbucker with a tap switch to lean it to a more Filtertron tone and output. My guitar is a LP Special and it would really be the bees knees with such a pickup. Alas, the troubles with tapped coils continue to collude the reality for the moment. It's a fabulous guitar and the modified P-100's sound good (in a high output sigle coil noisy way, which isn't a problem for me ). But it's really begging to be more than just modified for functon. I think the P-100's are only ok sounding. Modified they are maybe good for some players depending on style. Overall I think replacement is the best option.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        I think the attached pdf is what you are looking for. I found it through the wayback, here: https://web.archive.org/web/20170705...lueguitar.org/
        Awesome! Thank you very much. Your skills at drawing info out of the net paid off! I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
        X