Blade humbucker assembly and Mojotone magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade humbucker assembly and Mojotone magnets

I am very new to winding. I have put together a few Dimarzio style humbuckers are a blade humbucker kit that functions the same way, a single magnet down the middle.

I purchased a bunch of bobbins, blades, and magnets for full sized humbuckers and a few hotrail type single coil sized humbuckers.

This bobbin https://www.mojotone.com/Blade-Humbucker-Bobbin-Black

Click image for larger version

Name:	2115418_01.jpg?resizeid=5&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	997451

Is listed to be used with this magnet.

https://www.mojotone.com/Ceramic-8-Bar-Magnet-2-35-Long

This bobbin https://www.mojotone.com/Tele-Strat-...mbucker-Bobbin

Click image for larger version

Name:	2115458_01.jpg?resizeid=5&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	997452

Is listed as using this magnet. https://www.mojotone.com/Ceramic-8-Bar-Magnet-2-30-Long

The listings say they are only slightly different in size (2.30" Long x 0.300" Wide x 0.125" Thick vs 2.35" Long x 0.250" Wide x 0.120" Thick).

However, on inspection, the magnet listed as going with the full size bobbin is half the size of the other magnet. It only takes up half the space between rails on the full size. Two of the side by side takes up the full space.

The other magnet, listed with the single coil size, is far too large to fit between the rails of the single coil size bobbins. The other magnet fits between them fine.

I posted about this elsewhere and was told this is correct, somehow, and I need to be using 2 or 3 magnets per pickup. That doesn't make sense. It makes less sense when talking about the single coil size; two of the magnets listed for that bobbin is wider than an entire single coil.

I was told elsewhere neither of the magnets is correct, and both are slightly too small.

I emailed the company and they won't respond. When I call, they tell me the listings are correct.

In my dry fitting, switching the two magnets makes both fit correctly. I was told when showing a photo on another forum it's slightly too small.

I am trying to figure out the correct info and get the accurate magnets for each.

The smaller single coil sized blade bobbins use a fairly small magnet between the rails (usually Ceramic) as for the large humbucker sized bobbin you do still have a small gap when using a 1/2" humbucker bar magnet .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

If I use a standard humbucker bar in the middle, yes, there might be a very small gap. The company recommends using either two half width magnets in the middle or one half width magnet on the end. How does that work?

Comment

I'm not familiar with the mojotone stuff.
        Mabe post some pictures demonstrating your problem with the parts you have (bobbins, blades, magnets).
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The original post has all of the parts I am talking about, bobbins and magnets. The blades are listed with each item.

I am trying to figure out how to orient two magnets if I were to put two in the center or one on each side as they recommend.

Comment

I know a bit about magnetic circuits and pickups.
            But without seeing the possible arrangements with your actual parts I can't come up with a good answer.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Joe Barden understood that Alnico magnets were conductive. In humbucking pickups, the magnets also provided an electrical path for the eddy currents in opposing poles.

For this reason, The Barden blade pickups connect the blades electrically with a 1/8" copper strip attached by solder to copper-plated spots. If it were me today, I'd try spot welding instead of plating+solder.
              "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

I appreciate that input but it doesn't answer anything I asked

Comment

Working...
                X