Magnetizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetizing

Hello, me and a buddy want to start building pickups as a fairly cheap hobby. We were considering ordering a strat pickup kit from mojotone.com. The pickup comes without wire, and has to be Magnetized. How do you magnetize a pickup? Is there anything I should know before getting my self into this? Is there complex science to building pickups or is it more of simple science with basic rules. Seems like a fun hobby, I am not trying to compete with Lollar or anything, just want a hobby!
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

Originally posted by Hella1hella View Post
    Hello, me and a buddy want to start building pickups as a fairly cheap hobby. We were considering ordering a strat pickup kit from mojotone.com. The pickup comes without wire, and has to be Magnetized. How do you magnetize a pickup? Is there anything I should know before getting my self into this? Is there complex science to building pickups or is it more of simple science with basic rules. Seems like a fun hobby, I am not trying to compete with Lollar or anything, just want a hobby!
    Welcome to this portion of the forum.
    I would read over the Stewmac Instructions for their kit.
    It explains, and shows pictures.
    STEWMAC.COM : Instructions for Parts Kit for Strat Pickup
    I am a retired hobbyist also. I do sell a pickup now and then.
    This is a hobby or profession, that can either stay basic or as complex as you want to make it.
    I choose to just make pickups, and not get overly envolved with the theory.
    I like the Mojo Parts, especially their Single coil parts.
    If you really get to making lots of them there are places to buy things in bulk.
    Some guys buy their wire from BAE off of Ebay.
    You might check that out for wire.
    If your doing Strat Singles, I would start with either 42 SPN, or 42 Heavy Formvar.
    The SPN is easier to work with, and you can solder the wire without scuffing it.
    Ask all the questions you like here. That's what the Forum is for!
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Look over the other threads linked at the bottom of this page. You'll find some good ideas. I really can't believe that the StewMac Neodymium magnets are big enough to do the job and their Gauss readings don't jive with my gauss meter at all. Not sure what to think.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        Look over the other threads linked at the bottom of this page. You'll find some good ideas. I really can't believe that the StewMac Neodymium magnets are big enough to do the job and their Gauss readings don't jive with my gauss meter at all. Not sure what to think.
        I agree with David on the Stewmac Magnets being on the light side.
        I do like there How-to Layout, and it's a good place to start.
        Their instructions gets a new winder thinking in the right direction.
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Working...
        X