Parafin and Beewax Sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parafin and Beewax Sources?

So I've looked around the DC area and can't seem to find a local source for pure parafin wax. I was wondering if there are any online sources which people are using and like?
    Chris

Originally posted by verhoevenc View Post
    So I've looked around the DC area and can't seem to find a local source for pure parafin wax. I was wondering if there are any online sources which people are using and like?
    Chris
    Grocery stores have paraffin wax blocks in the canning section. That's getting rarer these days, of course. Bees wax can be had at hobby stores in the candle making stuff. May even be able to find the paraffin there, too.

Comment

That's what I thought. All the grocery stores I have tried look at me like I'm nuts... even when I say "canning section." And the only hobby place I can find around here that has that kinda stuff is Michaels... and although they have wax mine doesn't seem to stock pure parafin and/or pure bee's.
      Chris

Comment

Here in Canada ,Just about any grocery store carries this brand
        Parowax 450g (1lb) Granules Hobbies & Collectors in Barrie, Ontario Classifieds - CanadianListed.com
        I'm not sure if you can get this brand south of the border
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

There's also theraphy wax, and hair removal wax.
          You may be able to find the canning wax at your local farm stores, if you have any in the area.
          I buy the Gulf brand Wax for canning at the grocery.
          Later,
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I just found this.
            This is what I start with.
            Royal Oak 24/1 Paraffin Canning Wax, 16 Ounces
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

I have been getting my beeswax online here--- Raw Honey, Raw Honey and Bee Hive Products from Ohio

Sonny
              www.sonnywalton.com
              How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

plain white or off white candles can melted down too, get them at the supermarket.

Comment

All the big grocery stores in BC sell Parowax for a few bucks a box. I also sourced 1/4 pound chunks of bees wax at the same store beside the bees wax products for seven dollars.

Comment

A friend end up finding me the "Gulf Wax" that was recommend on amazon above at a fancy grocer a little outside what's usually considered the DC suburbs called "Wegman's Grocery". Then I just showed the kind folks at Michaels how a company through amazon had their bee's wax for half their price and BINGO, price matched and ready to go
                    Chris

Comment

I get my Canning wax and bees wax from a company called Axminster which is a big tool supplier (in the UK). I know you're a guitar builder like myself so I'd ask your regular tool suppliers- I bet they carry it (If you still need some that is!)

Comment

I get my paraffin from Amazon.

I use this stuff:

Amazon.com: HoMedics PAR-WAX Paraffin Bath Replacement Paraffin Pearls with 20 Plastic Liners: Beauty

The nice thing about it is it's a paraffin and paraffin oil (mineral oil) blend, so I don't need to mix it with bee's wax.
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          I get my paraffin from Amazon.

I use this stuff:

Amazon.com: HoMedics PAR-WAX Paraffin Bath Replacement Paraffin Pearls with 20 Plastic Liners: Beauty

The nice thing about it is it's a paraffin and paraffin oil (mineral oil) blend, so I don't need to mix it with bee's wax.
                          I use regular wax and mix the paraffin oil, but Daves Deal looks a lot easier.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                            I use regular wax and mix the paraffin oil, but Daves Deal looks a lot easier.
                            T
                            I started using it because it came with my HoMedics paraffin warmer that I use for potting. Been working like a charm so far.
                            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                            X