Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust and mild steel pole piece: how to prevent it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust and mild steel pole piece: how to prevent it?

Good morning everyone,

I start this thread after noticing that the surface of the blade pole piece I wanted to use for a pickup start to rust. It is a 1018 mild steel (http://music-electronics-forum.com/t26028/). I was thinking that epoxy glue or shellac would be great but I do not obtain something acceptable aesthetically speaking. Unfortunately, I do not have material to chrome plating the blade.

Maybe some oil would be enough...
    Sure, there is a lot of thread on internet about nail polish and things like that, used to prevent tarnish. No way to found a "prenventive action". Rather, I thought coating the whole blade and not just the visible surface could be better...Am I wrong? Guess it is maybe useless.
    Someone has a suggestion?

Greetings,

Frenchy
    Last edited by frenchy; 09-07-2011, 05:53 AM.

Electroless nickel plating- its very easy to do Caswell Inc. - Electroless Nickel Kit

I have been plating all my blades since I started making those types of parts- alot of the other small guys leave the steel untreated or they lacquer it but it will eventually rust- i have seen it at guitar shows, brand new made guitars with blades beginning to rust - looks really bad. with the electroless its just boil the parts for 30 minutes and thats it other than having to keep track of square inches plated to estimate how much nickel you need to put ack in the solution. Its all in the book you get with the kit

Comment

Good Morning Jason,

one question - one answer - one solved problem.
      Personaly, I want to thank you for several reasons: the main is that you share a technique that others pickup maker would have kept as commercial secret.
      This place is a very wonderful agora:
      - no rules except the one evoked by salvarsan : "Rule #1 -- Do not say that someone on this forum prefers sheep instead of women. Saying that insults the sheep".
      - pickup makers sharing with everyone, newbie and pros.

Thanks again!

Frenchy

Comment

Working...
      X