Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coils : Changing DCR ...

Hi Everybody,
    I found that the DCR of the pup changes one hour or two after it has been wound.
    For example, I take the DCR of the coil just after the winding (around 5.68K) and one hour after the DCR drops to 5.5K.
    Is there any explanation ?
    Does anybody find that as well ?

Thanks
    Fabrice
    ps : I hope you understand ;-) My English is not very good.

If you are soldering the leads then measuring the DCR its because the soldering heats the wire & increases the dcr
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Also let it set an hour at room temp, check it.
      That is the temp I judge them by, 70-75f.
      Now put it in the refrigerator for an Hour and take it out and check it.
      Your 5.8k may read 5k.
      Now heat it in the sun for a while.
      It may read 6.5-7k.
      It's that way when you take a pickup out of the wax pot.
      It will read way high until it cools.
      Good Luck,
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Thanks for your quick answer.

No I didn't solder the leads. It is just after the winding. I measure the DCR just after the winding. After I had several pups wound, (it takes one hours or two) I measure the DCR again. Right after, I solder the leads and wax them.
        So the pups are exactly the same. Nothing changed between the two measurements. Just a pause of one hour.

Yes I know that the temperature affects the DCR. Of course.
        But I wondered if anybody noticed the same thing.

The only explanation I have is, as I guide the winding by hand, the friction can increase lightly the temperature of the coil.
        And by consequence, increase the DCR after the winding.

Comment

The change you've got is ~3.3%.
          I think copper temperature coefficient is ~0.4% per degree C.
          So a change of <10 C would do it, and that could happen via heater from the winder, friction, heat from hands as being handled to take off the winder.
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Yes it seems very plausible.

But once gain, I am sure that I am not the only one who found that ... It's very strange because I had never heard or read something about that.

Maybe others pickup makers don't measure the DCR of the pickup after the winding. Don't know ...

;-) anyway thanks for your answer.

Comment

It happens to every one of us. They read higher right after they are wound because they are warmer.

To test this out, take a pickup and read the resistance, and then stick it in the freezer for a few minutes, take it out and read it again.

This is why most winders wind by the number of turns, and not the DC resistance. I make note of about what each one of my coils should read on the meter so after they are wound I can tell if there's a problem, but I wind by turn count and not resistance.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                It happens to every one of us. They read higher right after they are wound because they are warmer.

To test this out, take a pickup and read the resistance, and then stick it in the freezer for a few minutes, take it out and read it again.

This is why most winders wind by the number of turns, and not the DC resistance. I make note of about what each one of my coils should read on the meter so after they are wound I can tell if there's a problem, but I wind by turn count and not resistance.

Nice, It's becoming clear for me

Thanks

Comment

we did a blog article on this
                  Lollar Pickups Blog » Blog Archive » Temperature and Guitar Pickup DC Resistance
                  I never take any resistance readings I am going to document untill they sit overnight after winding. The friction from tensioning the coil changes the resistance too much- even a couple degrees difference in air temp is measurable.
                  When someone asks me to make them a pickup with .2K difference in DCR i tell them to blow on the pickup for 30 seconds to a minute and they will have it- or stick it in thier pocket for a couple minutes or just hold it in your hand for a short period of time.

Comment

Thanks a lot for these answers ... Now, I know that I have to take the DCR the day after ..

Comment

Working...
                    X