Mojo's humbucker bobbins, how to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mojo's humbucker bobbins, how to

I've just bought few vintage humbuckers sets from mojo but i can't figure out To how let the coil start hookup wire out of the bobbin, there is only 1 hole in a corner but it is on the top side of the bobbin...i don't understand...
    Does anyone have ever expirienced such construction?

Originally posted by Corcia View Post
    I've just bought few vintage humbuckers sets from mojo but i can't figure out To how let the coil start hookup wire out of the bobbin, there is only 1 hole in a corner but it is on the top side of the bobbin...i don't understand...
    Does anyone have ever expirienced such construction?
    I think the bobbin you have has a flat end on the bottom, no hole, is that correct?
    If that is the one you have, you can let the hookup wire hang off the end.
    The other option is to hang the wire off the end and tape it to the bottom.
    With the wire taped to the bottom, Now mount the bobbin to the winder upside down.
    As long as you wind both of the bobbins the same direction all will be good.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

You can drill a new hole on the bottom. That's what I do on bobbins. For humbucker bobbins like this, I don't use the hole at all. I just take the start lead that's soldered to the magnet wire, and tape it to the inside of the bobbin, and then run it out one end. I run the finish lead out the same side next to it.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I saw a narrow angled notch before the end on the bottom of the bobbin, with a very narrow Hacksaw blade.
        I break the wire out the notch.
        That way the wire is not at the end and you don't get the bulge knot at the end, like I always did with the bobbins with the square hole on the end.
        If you drill a hole, make sure it is not where it interferes with, or is under the keeper bar.
        I Also learned that the hard way.
        Good Luck,
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I just tape the wire to the left of the bobbin with an inch excess and wind away. The wire disappears into the bottom of the coil. I then do the old PAF style wire attachments sandwiched to the coil with tape.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
            I just tape the wire to the left of the bobbin with an inch excess and wind away. The wire disappears into the bottom of the coil. I then do the old PAF style wire attachments sandwiched to the coil with tape.
            I do the same (taping my start wire to the edge of my winders faceplate)
            I found using the hole was was a pain in the ass & unreliable
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Whatever Works, is the important thing.
              IMO, The Conventional Humbucker Design is hard to Beat.
              Terry
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Whatever works, is the important thing.
                IMO, the conventional humbucker design is hard to beat.
                For assembly, you want what works the fastest and easiest. Thats why Leo was so successful. He found the easiest way to do things, often with the least number of parts. The traditional humbucker can be improved upon quite a bit! Bill Lawrence made a lot of improvements such as the bobbins having terminals molded on, and also some pickups using printed circuit boards under the coils. Bartolini does that also, and Duncan and DiMarzio on their dual rail Strat pickups. You just solder your coils to the PCB. That beats the old way hands down.

Other improvements would be not needing the spacers under the bobbins (also fixed by Lawrence and others), and three or four mounting screws on the ring to stop it from tilting.

I can think of more too. I'd actually rather start from scratch and just make it the same size for compatibility sake.

Don't settle for a 52 year old design. Times have changed, and there are always ways to do things more efficiently.
                Last edited by David Schwab; 01-03-2012, 04:16 AM.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                  I do the same (taping my start wire to the edge of my winders faceplate)
                  I found using the hole was was a pain in the ass & unreliable
                  I'll have to give that a try.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X