Strat Blade Single Coil Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
    What specs did you go with for the neck ?
    When i was playing with them i tried to sweeten & get rid of some mid range n settled on the low 5k ,which i figured sounded the best
    I'm going to try your Specs.
    I have one in there now that is over 6k and it is pretty Middy.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I've got a couple of the blades made, and I'm still struggling through the Learning and building curve.
      But, I like the way they sound so far.
      I have decided to go with the tele bobbins for the strat pickups.
      You have to dremel some on the flat work, but they look nice when you get them built.
      Will try to take some pictures tomorrow.
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 02-28-2013, 01:56 AM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Here's a Picture of some I've made so far.
        Still in a learning curve, but getting a little easier.
        Mojo was out of blades, These have blades I made and colored with bluing.
        If I keep making them I will do like david and order some 1018 from McMasters.
        Later, when I have them in a loaded pickguard, I will take more photos.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 02-28-2013, 01:59 AM.
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          You have to dremel some on the flat work, but they look nice when you get them built.
          Tom is going to have some base plates for those bobbins for use with a Strat.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Baseplate that fit would be nice.
            I told them on the phone that a blade kit, I thought would sell good.
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 06-20-2012, 10:10 PM.
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              Here's a Picture of some I've made so far.
              Still in a learning curve, but getting a little easier.
              Mojo was out of blades, These have blades I made and colored with bluing.
              If I keep making them I will do like david and order some 1018 from McMasters.
              Later, when I have them in a loaded pickguard, I will take more photos.
              T
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]17781[/ATTACH]
              I see the 2 different bobbin types ,which is the best & can you use any of these inside a strat cover
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I see the 2 different bobbin types ,which is the best & can you use any of these inside a strat cover
                None of them fit inside a cover.
                I think Mojo is only selling the flatwork now for the half round bobbins.
                You need the larger magnet for those.
                I don't like their blades either.
                I make my own.
                IMO the Arched blades help do the opposite of a staggered set.
                Most finger boards are near flat now, and the arched blade makes the pickup IMO real Middy sounding.
                So I use flat stock and cut straight blades.
                Your Mileage with the curved blades may vary! lol
                Another problem with the larger bobbins.
                They don't readily go through all pickguards.
                I was using them in my custom loaded pickguards, but would dremel the holes first.
                Tom is supposed to be getting those bobbins eventually in white also.
                T
                Terry

Comment

I'm not paying $1.80 for a blade ,They are too easy to make

Comment

1/16"x3/4" 1018 steel is ideal.
                    I made several out of some 1/16" sheet metal, and they sounded good.
                    I have one I just finished yesterday, going to stick it in the neck of my test strat today.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

SO i CANT USE these Mojotone Blade Pickup Bobbin Black
                      I guess there for something else now
                      Last edited by copperheadroads; 05-08-2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

SO i CANT USE these Mojotone Blade Pickup Bobbin Black
                        I guess there for something else now
                        If you look at this flatwork for a strat.
                        Mojo Pickup Parts » Mojotone Strat Blade Bottom Flatwork
                        At the bottom of the page it shows what parts you use with it.
                        The bobbin you show only fits the flatwork for the Tele neck position.(With some Modification)
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

I'm not paying $1.80 for a blade ,They are too easy to make
                          You can get the blades here also:

Humbucker Pickup Bobbin Blade - Guitar Parts

But they are still $1.50. But at least they are black. They look really nice with the white bobbins.

I make all my blades, but since these require a little extra work I have been buying them from Mojo. But they also need to be plated, so I might start making these too.
                          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            You can get the blades here also:

Humbucker Pickup Bobbin Blade - Guitar Parts

But they are still $1.50. But at least they are black. They look really nice with the white bobbins.

I make all my blades, but since these require a little extra work I have been buying them from Mojo. But they also need to be plated, so I might start making these too.
                            I think i'm gonna blue mine with some gun blue to color them black

Comment

I think i'm gonna blue mine with some gun blue to color them black
                              You will like the Gun Bluing, it works so easy, on certain metals.
                              Good Luck,
                              Terry
                              Terry

Comment

This is another Thread that has lot's of good info if you've considered building a Strat or Tele Sized Blade Bucker.
                                The Parts are now readily available.
                                I highly recommend trying one.
                                Not the prettiest girl in the room, but the Good IMO out weighs the bad.
                                I have one in the neck of my bedroom player, and it is dead quiet.
                                So You may want to give one of these a try.
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X