Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seventh Grader Looking for Help on Single-Coil Pup

Hi this is whammybar2000.
    I'm a seventh grader who has some free time and wants to make a single coil pickup. I'm going to use 42-gauge wire and alnico magnets. I want it to be pretty simple. Could someone give me some specs to start me out? Also, I don't know a ton about electronics, so could someone tell me what the pickup wire attaches to? (I assume it is soldered to the end of the wire that is used for the coil, but I'm just double-checking.) I'm not on a big budget (obviously) so I can't afford a winder, so I'm making my own how people have described everywhere on this forum with a hand drill. If anyone has any specifics on this (especially how to keep it from wobbling) then that would be great to know. I know I'm such a noob and I have all kinds of questions that probably seem blindingly obvious to all of you experienced pickup makers, but hey: Isn't this the beginner's corner?
    I mean, I never liked being told what to do. It's one of the reasons I dropped out of school. Give me something to assemble, I won't look at the directions, I'll try to figure it out by myself. It's why I love Ikea furniture.

-Dave Grohl

Welcome:
    Most of what you ask, is in the first thread.
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t29669/
    One post on where to buy parts.
    One post on vids and instructions.
    One post on Magnetizing.
    In the StewMac instructions are some pics of cordless drills used as winders.
    I would read over most of that before you get too specific.
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Working...
    X