Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction and a question for Mr. Schwab

Hello,

I would like to make my introduction to you all. My name is Bjorn. I'm from South Central Texas. Total greenhorn regarding pickup winding. I am already starting to gather material to build my winder. I am wanting to wind my own pickups for my own guitars as I have always been somewhat disappointed in aftermarket pickups. Either from the big named guys through boutique designers. Every pickup I have tried always seems to be lacking something, or subtracting something. I feel that the only way I can get what I want out of a pickup is to create it myself.

My question is for Mr. Schwab.

I could not find an answer for this in this section nor on the main pickup winder forum.

I am interested in creating a bass humbucker that will fit in the dimensions of a Bartolini MK1. I am not concerned about making an active pickup, nor using a plastic cover. Would creating my own bobbins and baseplates be best, or does someone supply these size bobbins and baseplates? This is a project for down the road a bit for my bass player. I figured researching this before I said, "sure I will try and make you a set".

Hi Bjorn218:
    I'm not David, but there are all kinds of Bass Parts at Mojo for making blade style humbuckers.
    Here is the links, you can look over til you get with david.
    Bass Pickup Covers
    Bass
    Bar Magnets
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    Here's a thread that you may have already seen, if Not, you may want to look it over.
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t...1874/#poststop
    Last edited by big_teee; 06-19-2012, 05:59 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry,

I have Mojotone bookmarked already. I used a couple of their chassis when I was building amps many moons ago. Stopped when band schedules interfered with outside hobbies. The blade style bobbins were not really what I had in mind, but probably worth looking into at first. Was thinking more along the lines of bass sized open faced humbucker. This is why I asked about making my own flatwork.

That ramp pickup is sick.

Looks like Nordstrom makes what I had in mind. Still would like to have a go with it sometime.
      Last edited by Bjorn218; 06-20-2012, 06:48 AM. Reason: added content

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn218 View Post
        Thanks Terry,

I have Mojotone bookmarked already. I used a couple of their chassis when I was building amps many moons ago. Stopped when band schedules interfered with outside hobbies. The blade style bobbins were not really what I had in mind, but probably worth looking into at first. Was thinking more along the lines of bass sized open faced humbucker. This is why I asked about making my own flatwork.

That ramp pickup is sick.

Looks like Nordstrom makes what I had in mind. Still would like to have a go with it sometime.
        You can make your own flatwork on lots of pickups.
        Some materials are, Forbon, garolite, Wood.
        Ward makes Flatwork out of fancy Flamed Maple.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          You can make your own flatwork on lots of pickups.
          Some materials are, Forbon, garolite, Wood.
          Ward makes Flatwork out of fancy Flamed Maple.
          T
          Thanks I think ultimately that is whats going to have to happen.

I scored a bunch of brass sheet metal today 4 pieces of 8" x 36" kick plates from doors.
          It appears to be roughly the same mil thickness as some humbucker base plates I have.
          Will use this to make the base plates for these bass pickups.

Comment

Thanks I think ultimately that is whats going to have to happen.

I scored a bunch of brass sheet metal today 4 pieces of 8" x 36" kick plates from doors.
            It appears to be roughly the same mil thickness as some humbucker base plates I have.
            Will use this to make the base plates for these bass pickups.
            Just for an idea on making the baseplate?
            Don't have a clue what shape your talking about.
            Maybe you can get some ideas from this.
            You can make a regular Humbucker base plate with this pattern.
            You cut out the base plate, then you cut a steel bar to the right dimensions.
            The steel bar is the important part.
            You bend everything with a vise a hammer and the steel bar.
            Maybe you can adapt a pattern and bar to the shape of your bass Pickup.
            Check this out, I thought it pretty neat.
            T
            Terry

Comment

I am interested in creating a bass humbucker that will fit in the dimensions of a Bartolini MK1. I am not concerned about making an active pickup, nor using a plastic cover. Would creating my own bobbins and baseplates be best, or does someone supply these size bobbins and baseplates? This is a project for down the road a bit for my bass player. I figured researching this before I said, "sure I will try and make you a set".
              Those pickups are built in the plastic cover. If you want to make a version with no covers you are pretty much on your own as far as producing a design and parts.

I would not use brass for a baseplate. There's no reason to use metal at all.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
              X