This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
    You know Sonny I never really thought about potentially getting new guitars/new business because of Christmas .
    This will be my last year of closing shop for the winter...
    on another note, My Wife bought me a epi dot for Christmas ,What's your fav pickup specs for this style guitar
    Top secret trade secrets revealed here-- Just my opinion though.
    Bridge 42PE 5540 turns screw side, 5300 turns slug side, A5
    Neck 42PE 5175 turns screw side, 5100 turns slug side A2
    both wound fairly tight with about 30 grams tension
    I have 3 epi dots, and I like them a lot.[/QUOTE]

WOW.......Thats some detailed info n the spec's.................. I have wound my pups very close to those specs......thanks Sonny
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      Top secret trade secrets revealed here-- Just my opinion though.
      Bridge 42PE 5540 turns screw side, 5300 turns slug side, A5
      Neck 42PE 5175 turns screw side, 5100 turns slug side A2
      both wound fairly tight with about 30 grams tension
      I have 3 epi dots, and I like them a lot.
      WOW.......Thats some detailed info n the spec's.................. I have wound my pups very close to those specs......thanks Sonny[/QUOTE]

It's funny, I thought it was my keyboard, but looks like you got the same odd handling of quotes that I got.
      www.sonnywalton.com
      How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

WOW.......Thats some detailed info n the spec's.................. I have wound my pups very close to those specs......thanks Sonny
        It's funny, I thought it was my keyboard, but looks like you got the same odd handling of quotes that I got.[/QUOTE]

WTH old friend

Comment

It's funny, I thought it was my keyboard, but looks like you got the same odd handling of quotes that I got.
          WTH old friend[/QUOTE]

I guess we can expect some goofiness on this thread we are up to 963 posts now.
          www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            To go a step further.
            A ten pound Mahogany LP, has a good start to great tone.
            I have a cheap Agile Left hand copy.
            It Weighs 10 pounds 4 ounces without a strap.
            T
            Wow thats pretty heavy

Comment

• Yes it is a heavy weight, but It has always sounded good.
              What's going on tonight.
              Was looking at the Dot Pickup recipe.
              Interesting.
              I always made my buckers with more turns on the slug coil.
              I can't talk Semi hollows though, I don't have one.
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Yes it is a heavy weight, but It has always sounded good.
                What's going on tonight.
                Was looking at the Dot Pickup recipe.
                Interesting.
                I always made my buckers with more turns on the slug coil.
                I can't talk Semi hollows though, I don't have one.
                T
                WoW!!! I never noticed the hotter coil was the screw ,I jast assumed it was the slug coil which is what I usually wind hotter
                I don't know if I will find time to make a set for the dot at Christmas (I'm only home a week) But I will try
                Maybe Sonny can enlighten us about the hotter screw coil in the bridge position or not

Comment

Wow thats pretty heavy
                  +1 on the heavy. My heaviest Epi LP weighs 9lb 1 oz. I thought before it was maybe the heaviest one ever made. (lol) My lightest one is 7 lb 13oz. In comparison, I have a Jay Turser LP clone that weighs only 6.87 lb and a Univox '70's clone that is about 8.5 lb.
                  www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

WoW!!! I never noticed the hotter coil was the screw ,I jast assumed it was the slug coil which is what I usually wind hotter
                    I don't know if I will find time to make a set for the dot at Christmas (I'm only home a week) But I will try
                    Maybe Sonny can enlighten us about the hotter screw coil in the bridge position or not
                    OK you all asked. I am trying to minimize the dark side here. I think many humbuckers tend to be a little dark for my tastes. Assuming that the pickups are installed correctly, for the bridge, the adjustable side will be closer to the bridge and thus brighter. I did not want to balance the coils precisely, that is supposed to hurt liveliness too much. We are talking about very slight changes here, but I think having the tiniest bit of extra brightness on the bridge from putting the extra turns there instead of the slugs helps the brightness a little and also on clarity. On the neck I did the opposite and kept the extra on the adjustable side and for the life of me I don't know why I did it. It is a lot less imbalance on the neck though but it sounds good to me so I left it alone. This is all fair game for opinion wars. May the force be with you.
                    www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• I have a epi les paul that weights about 8 lbs,I also have a tom paul 59 that weighs about 9 lbs.
                      My Gibson 60's tribute is chambered weights a little over 7lbs

Comment

OK you all asked. I am trying to minimize the dark side here. I think many humbuckers tend to be a little dark for my tastes. Assuming that the pickups are installed correctly, for the bridge, the adjustable side will be closer to the bridge and thus brighter. I did not want to balance the coils precisely, that is supposed to hurt liveliness too much. We are talking about very slight changes here, but I think having the tiniest bit of extra brightness on the bridge from putting the extra turns there instead of the slugs helps the brightness a little and also on clarity. On the neck I did the opposite and kept the extra on the adjustable side and for the life of me I don't know why I did it. It is a lot less imbalance on the neck though but it sounds good to me so I left it alone. This is all fair game for opinion wars. May the force be with you.
                        By the way, there is another thing that I just remembered from when I was working on this a long time ago. The slug side usually has stronger gauss than the adjustable side. I probably took that into consideration at the time but I have slept a lot since then.
                        www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• I have wound them both ways.
                          Usually depends how far the bridge is from the pickup.
                          If the guitar is unusally bright I put more on the slugs.
                          I had a dark guitar I did a lot more on the bridge.
                          That is why we handwind. We can customise.
                          Thanks again Sonny for going above and beyond the call of duty!
                          By the way this Thread is so big, it probably won't get read much, cause they can't find it! lol
                          Like looking for a needle in a haystack, 28 pages of it.
                          We'll lock it down soon.
                          T
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

I have wound them both ways.
                            Usually depends how far the bridge is from the pickup.
                            If the guitar is unusally bright I put more on the slugs.
                            I had a dark guitar I did a lot more on the bridge.
                            That is why we handwind. We can customise.
                            Thanks again Sonny for going above and beyond the call of duty!
                            By the way this Thread is so big, it probably won't get read much, cause they can't find it! lol
                            T
                            I agree on the can't find it or I wouldn't have published the recipe details so much.
                            www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• As far as what's going on tonight, I just sent out yesterday a wiring harness for a Strat, which has my 59 in the neck and one of my Texas Blues RWRP models in the middle and a P.A.F. clone in the bridge to a young guy in NJ that has a website where he reviews guitar gear. He found my website somehow, and contacted me. He is only 16 and still in high school, but I was impressed with his diligence and entrepreneurship so far, and with his website and interviews, so I broke down and sent him a set of pickups to review. He seems to have somewhat of a following. I figure if he is that gung ho at 16 maybe it will take off and if not I only have to get a couple three pickup sales off of this to break even. I made him a special custom wiring job with a push-pull so he can put the bridge in anytime. We will see how it turns out. I told him all I want back is a honest review.
                              www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

As far as what's going on tonight, I just sent out yesterday a wiring harness for a Strat, which has my 59 in the neck and one of my Texas Blues RWRP models in the middle and a P.A.F. clone in the bridge to a young guy in NJ that has a website where he reviews guitar gear. He found my website somehow, and contacted me. He is only 16 and still in high school, but I was impressed with his diligence and entrepreneurship so far, and with his website and interviews, so I broke down and sent him a set of pickups to review. He seems to have somewhat of a following. I figure if he is that gung ho at 16 maybe it will take off and if not I only have to get a couple three pickup sales off of this to break even. I made him a special custom wiring job with a push-pull so he can put the bridge in anytime. We will see how it turns out. I told him all I want back is a honest review.
                                That's really cool. I look forward to reading his review.
                                I bet it will be a good one.
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X