This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
    Yes well, once you/anyone hear/s it I don't think you/they will be too worried about such a small thing as a swimming pool rout, or just routing some kinda trench, I can dig that you wouldn't want to hack up a vintage strat or Tele or any other guitar but surely it's not a hard thing to find a cheapie to hack up, like I said, once you hear it you'll just shake your head and wonder why it's taken so long IMO. I'm off working on my new guitar build, I'll check in from time to time. I like the flower pot idea because the taper lets the coil come off easily. You could just make a smaller coil and jam it under the pots n see how it goes, that'd be easier, I should probably get to try that as well seeing as I wouldn't mind enlightening a few fellow players with the new quietness so if the small one under the pots works then why not just do it that way. Of course it would be twice as thick to get the 350ohms but should fit in there.
    Because of the noise, I have gotten away from the single coils in my own guitars.
    I play the blade in the neck, single in the middle and a hot Hummer in the bridge.
    I will have to go back to singles to test the coil.
    Most of my other guitars are humbucker axes.
    But, I do want to give it a try, but it nothing urgent on this end.
    Have fun with the new build.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      I don't have a clue.
      I was wondering if a small coil wouldn't work?
      I may try winding some around a ferrite Core.
      That would give more inductance with less wire.
      NOOOOOOOO!
      You want the dummy coil's R & L to be negligible compared to the pickup coil's R & L- so you don't change the Q of the circuit.
      The whole idea is to detect the most noise with the smallest R & L.
      Physics and geometry say the way to do that with the least wire is to make the coil a big air-core circle.
      The patent recommends the dummy coil's area should be at least 5x the pickup coil's area.

Why copy your deal that works, when we can try to re invent the wheel.
      No comment.

I don't have a way to route the circular grove, and I don't have your swimming pool route, so now what? WTF?
      Put it in an archtop?

But that reminds me of some installation recommendations in the patent. "Best" placement for 1 pickup & 1 dummy coil would be:
      - Coils in close proximity, in parallel planes, with coincident geometric centers.
      Or something like that.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Originally posted by rjb View Post
        NOOOOOOOO!
        You want the dummy coil's R & L to be negligible compared to the pickup coil's R & L- so you don't change the Q of the circuit.
        The whole idea is to detect the most noise with the smallest R & L.
        Physics and geometry say the way to do that with the least wire is to make the coil a big air-core circle.
        The patent recommends the dummy coil's area should be at least 5x the pickup coil's area.

No comment.

Put it in an archtop?

But that reminds me of some installation recommendations in the patent. "Best" placement for 1 pickup & 1 dummy coil would be:
        - Coils in close proximity, in parallel planes, with coincident geometric centers.
        Or something like that.
        I'm retired and just piddling, nothing life or death here.
        So you want the big air coil.
        I've got so many unfinished projects hanging right now, I don't know when I will get to it anyway!
        You guys can get it all perfected.
        I like my neck blade pickup.
        It has zero noise, or close to it.
        So is anyone making any pickups these days, or just building guitars?
        I finally finished my A2 Strat set, got them potted today, and will put them in and test tomorrow, maybe.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I'm retired and just piddling, nothing life or death here.
          So you want the big air coil.
          I've got so many unfinished projects hanging right now, I don't know when I will get to it anyway!
          You guys can get it all perfected.
          I like my neck blade pickup.
          It has zero noise, or close to it.
          So is anyone making any pickups these days, or just building guitars?
          I finally finished my A2 Strat set, got them potted today, and will put them in and test tomorrow, maybe.
          T
          Right then, so it sounds like you're not even a candidate for this as you are not really a single coil guy. Now before you get all defensive, single coil guys play noisy single coils because they love the sound of them, there's no other reason on earth to play them other than how they sound and nothing sounds like them IMO. I would have tried the Shur backplate long ago if I had the dough, I didn't have the dough and basically put it out of my mind, the whole time I'm a single coil guy, whether playing clean or mean, and strats and Teles can get pretty mean without ever wishing for humbucker, er, tone
          So go back to your buckers mate n leave the tone to the single coil guys
          Love these emoticons, thanks Copper.

Comment

Right then, so it sounds like you're not even a candidate for this as you are not really a single coil guy. Now before you get all defensive, single coil guys play noisy single coils because they love the sound of them, there's no other reason on earth to play them other than how they sound and nothing sounds like them IMO. I would have tried the Shur backplate long ago if I had the dough, I didn't have the dough and basically put it out of my mind, the whole time I'm a single coil guy, whether playing clean or mean, and strats and Teles can get pretty mean without ever wishing for humbucker, er, tone
            So go back to your buckers mate n leave the tone to the single coil guys
            Love these emoticons, thanks Copper.
            I like them all.
            Not a Die hard anything though.
            I sell more single coils, because that is what sells in my area.
            Which is fine with me, Strat SCs are the easiest to make.
            I started with buckers, and that is what I started building.
            But, anymore I hate making Buckers, especially if they have a cover, and a 4 wire cable.
            You can make other pickups sound as good as SCs IMO.
            Most guys IMO, wind buckers and blades too hot, especially the neck pickup.
            So yes I will dabble with this but, will probably try to make a smaller compromise unit.
            Maybe rjb won't reprimand me for saying that!
            T
            ** Yes there is a Full Moon!
            Last edited by big_teee; 08-02-2012, 04:57 AM.
            Terry

Comment

I like them all.
              Not a Die hard anything though.
              I sell more single coils, because that is what sells in my area.
              Which is fine with me, Strat SCs are the easiest to make.
              I started with buckers, and that is what I started building.
              But, anymore I hate making Buckers, especially if they have a cover, and a 4 wire cable.
              You can make other pickups sound as good as SCs IMO.
              Most guys IMO, wind buckers and blades too hot, especially the neck pickup.
              So yes I will dabble with this but, will probably try to make a smaller compromise unit.
              Maybe rjb won't reprimand me for saying that!
              T
              ** Yes there is a Full Moon!
              Yep, full moon alrighty, that's why I'm hiding behind the couch. T, I'm glad you took my post in the spirit it was meant, sometimes sarcasm can backfire on a bloke.
              Just a bit of friendly smartassmanship. I'm sure you can find plenty of objects to wind a smaller coil around but just be conscious of how you're gonna get it off once wound, and, it's quite a tricky undertaking getting it off whatever you wind it on and then wound in tape so good luck and try to do it sooner rather than later coz it might just change your mind about singles.

Comment

Yep, full moon alrighty, that's why I'm hiding behind the couch. T, I'm glad you took my post in the spirit it was meant, sometimes sarcasm can backfire on a bloke.
                Just a bit of friendly smartassmanship. I'm sure you can find plenty of objects to wind a smaller coil around but just be conscious of how you're gonna get it off once wound, and, it's quite a tricky undertaking getting it off whatever you wind it on and then wound in tape so good luck and try to do it sooner rather than later coz it might just change your mind about singles.
                Yep, on the flower pot.
                I have all sizes of flower pots. lol
                I have a few ideas I want to try, probably get a goose egg, but will be fun trying!
                Sitting here listening to this while I type.
                Beck Bogert & Appice - Beck Bogert & Appice Live (1973) - Full Album - YouTube
                T
                Terry

Comment

• I'm gonna take the Flower pot coil technology & instead of putting the coil in the swimming pool ,I'm going to decorate it & disguise it & wear it as a headbands ...Maybe even some LED's
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                    I'm gonna take the Flower pot coil technology & instead of putting the coil in the swimming pool ,I'm going to decorate it & disguise it & wear it as a headbands ...Maybe even some LED's
                    That could work

Comment

• Hey Ward, would the dummy coil still work if it were built with much finer wire (say AWG #42) so as long as the resistance was the same as when using the larger wire?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                        Hey Ward, would the dummy coil still work if it were built with much finer wire (say AWG #42) so as long as the resistance was the same as when using the larger wire?
                        Hi Stratz, how are you this evening?
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

• Well, no pickups for me today, still waiting on some magnets for those 1965's. Need to get some other work out of the way anyhow. Hey Ward, not to hijack the the thread back to the painting, but this one made me feel better today. I am setting up a new ES335 out of the Gibby CS. Should have had this one done yesterday the customer called today and I hadn't even started it yet. It has the faded cherry finish. It must have been done with a stain too, the color isn't much more even than my parts strat is. So I feel a bit better now, here it is on my messy work table.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	825596
                          www.sonnywalton.com
                          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Hi Stratz, how are you this evening?
                            T
                            Doing good Terry, Did you get to play the Alnico 2 Strat pickups yet?
                            I have either A2's or an A2/A5 mix with HF wire in the neck position on a couple of my Strats. Very nice sounding.
                            The A2 is nice and clear, piano like, but still growls when pushed.

Rob.

Comment

I have either A2's or an A2/A5 mix with HF wire in the neck position on a couple of my Strats. Very nice sounding.

Rob.
                              Damn, that reminds me, I did a Mojo order a while ago and plum forgot to order some A2 mag coz I wanted to try em out, piano like you say, that sound like what I'm after

Comment

Rob.
                                A strange day at the office.
                                Not that it wasn't already Hotter than Hillbilly Hell, Here in the Ouachita Mountains.
                                I fired up the smoker and slow smoked 6 roasts today.
                                While I was Fing around with that, I mowed some grass, and then I did one more check on the A2 set, and Low and behold the Bridge pickup was open.
                                I had wound it and checked it, I put the cable on and checked it, then I threw it in the wax pot yesterday late.
                                I thought, no problem I will just re flow the solder on the cable, and no Cigar!
                                So I took both cable leads out, and looked at the 42 wire, it looked fine.
                                So I broke the finish wire and peeled a bit off and checked to the start.
                                It was still open, So I took it a part and rewound it.
                                So to make a long story longer, I didn't ever get them in the guitar today, but maybe tomorrow.
                                I get to multi tasking, and I get a lot started, but don't get much finished!
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X