Newbie question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question.

Hi. Just a quick question. I'm winding my first pickup, a standard split coil Fender Precision clone, and can find all the info I need apart from one thing, the lengths of the magnets. Does anyone know? I don't have one to pull apart, just lots of Jazz pups. Thanks.

The standard Fender length is .531.
    However if you have some .630s I would use those.
    I'm fixing to make a P set, and I'm planning on using the .630 size.
    I will just let them stick through the cover, a little more.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      The standard Fender length is .531.
      However if you have some .630s I would use those.
      I'm fixing to make a P set, and I'm planning on using the .630 size.
      I will just let them stick through the cover, a little more.
      T
      Thanks ever so much.

I'd read in one place they were 13.5mm (0.531), but that seemed way shorter than pics I'd seen of modern versions, so I was doubting it. But as I'm going for "authenticity" I might try it at 13.5. I'm going for a PJ set up, so one pup tall and thin and one pup short and fat might be the best thing.
      Last edited by Kesh; 07-15-2012, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kesh View Post
        Thanks ever so much.

I'd read in one place they were 13.5mm (0.531), but that seemed way shorter than pics I'd seen of modern versions, so I was doubting it. But as I'm going for "authenticity" I might try it at 13.5. I'm going for a PJ set up, so one pup tall and thin and one pup short and fat might be the best thing.
        I'm building the exact same thing, a PJ set.
        I put mine together today.
        I used the .630 magnets in the P set.
        Just a little over flush with the bottom of the cover.
        Inside the flats, I think was .325".
        About 1/16" sticking out of the cover.
        I beveled the poles, Just me but I like a little sticking out on single coils.
        The J, is same way, just a little of the flatwork sticking out of the cover on the bottom.
        I used the .781 magnets for it. about 1/16" out the top.
        They measure right at .5" or less inside the J flats.
        Good luck whatever you go with.
        I'll try to post some pics tomorrow when I get them wound.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Kesh View Post
          I'd read in one place they were 13.5mm (0.531), but that seemed way shorter than pics I'd seen of modern versions
          Some of the modern P bass bobbins are too tall. That will make them sound brighter, which is one of the things people seem to complain about on TalkBass. If you want them to sound like the old ones, leave the bobbins very squat.

Terry, I would not stick the magnets out the top of the cover. Bass players don't like protruding magnets because some people catch their finger tips on them, and then strings tend to hit them which makes a clacking noise. People end up putting tape or nail polish on the magnets. Leave them flush.

Bass is different from guitar in the way it's played.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            Some of the modern P bass bobbins are too tall. That will make them sound brighter, which is one of the things people seem to complain about on TalkBass. If you want them to sound like the old ones, leave the bobbins very squat.

Terry, I would not stick the magnets out the top of the cover. Bass players don't like protruding magnets because some people catch their finger tips on them, and then strings tend to hit them which makes a clacking noise. People end up putting tape or nail polish on the magnets. Leave them flush.

Bass is different from guitar in the way it's played.
            Thanks David.
            I didn't think about that.
            I will readjust everything and make them flush on top.
            I guess if you do that slap style you would hit the poles.
            T
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              Thanks David.
              I didn't think about that.
              I will readjust everything and make them flush on top.
              I guess if you do that slap style you would hit the poles.
              T
              Yes, also many bass players end up sitting the magnets when just playing normally, although I can't imagine how. Your fingers shouldn't go below the strings.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

contrare to vintage thinking, i prefer to use 688 v's for a p-bass pickup. and lots of winds. to each their own.
                www.frettech.com

Comment

Working...
                X