Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a standard polarity/winding combination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a standard polarity/winding combination?

I know that north toward you, clockwise wound will have the same phase as south toward you, anticlockwise wound. And vice versa. So I could make, say, a P-J set up and all three coils will be in phase.

But would a pick up I bought have a particular phase, by convention? If you mixed and matched two pups from different makers, would they be in phase? Or might you have to reverse the hookup wires?

Originally posted by Kesh View Post
    I know that north toward you, clockwise wound will have the same phase as south toward you, anticlockwise wound. And vice versa. So I could make, say, a P-J set up and all three coils will be in phase.

But would a pick up I bought have a particular phase, by convention? If you mixed and matched two pups from different makers, would they be in phase? Or might you have to reverse the hookup wires?
    It has always been a crap shoot on single coils.
    Same with P bass pickups, they have been made and assembled all different ways.
    Humbuckers are normally Wound CCW, and the north polarity is at the slugs.
    Some wind them CW, and north to the slugs.
    I always try to sell a set any more.
    It simplifies everything Knowing how all pickups are wound.
    I wind my P bass coils, both CCW.
    Tie the starts together, and feed the output to one finish, and ground the other finish.
    Fender does the one coil CW, the other CCW and ties a start and finish together.
    Take your pick.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X