Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +1 for Mint. It's probably the best linux distro for most people.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcgruff View Post
      +1 for Mint. It's probably the best linux distro for most people.
      I really like it, I have my desktop setup where it looks just like the old Win XP Classic.
      I've tried most of the popular Linux Distros, and like the Mint14 with Mate desktop the best so far.
      I also put Mint 14, the 32 bit version on my wife's old laptop, and she likes it much better than the old XP we took off.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

• Update on my wire.
        I returned the 42SP spool from Hell that kept breaking, and it was replace with a similar sized 42SP Natural.
        It comes off so Easy, and I've not had the constant Urge to take a Large Hammer to the wire and winding machine.
        When I talked to Remington, getting the wire adjusted, they also told me they had a medium roll (6.33lb) of 42SP Red that measured .070mm.
        .070mm converts to .00275", I had Larry put a Mic on it, and it in fact measured that large, so I purchased it a week later, after the adjustment of the Defective roll.
        So for 42 SP wire I have the 42SP Red that measures a little larger than .0025", and it's great for overwound bridge pickups, or small bobbins.
        I have the 42SP Natural that measures .00265", Great all purpose size for general winding.
        I have the new red that measures .00275", a great size for clear bell tone neck pickups.
        Then for some single coils, I have 2 different sizes of 42 HPN, Medium and Large.
        It's still IMO that you need great wire to make great pickups.
        Rock Steady!
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• Don't want to get too off-topic but quick mention for virtualbox: if there's the odd XP program you still need to run you can install windows as a virtual machine inside virtualbox. Or maybe try wine.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcgruff View Post
            Don't want to get too off-topic but quick mention for virtualbox: if there's the odd XP program you still need to run you can install windows as a virtual machine inside virtualbox. Or maybe try wine.
            I'm retired and don't need much.
            If I need Windozz, I just put my hard drive back in the laptop, keep the flash drive out and boot to windowz!
            I'm 8 months without the urge to run Billy Gates!
            T
            ** BTW this is the Daily Run Down, and I put it here for Off Topix.
            So Have at it!
            Terry

Comment

• Happy Independence Day to all Us Yanks out There!
              Wind a Pickup with a Fire Cracker in it!
              Terry

Comment

• So on the Lighter Side?
                What is everyone working on these days?
                Probably Working on the Rod & Reel, and Ski Boat.
                I'm Still working on a few Tele sets, and a few full Sized Humbucker sets.
                Got a new Scratch build 50 Watt Head amp started.
                Going to take my time with it, will take most of the Summer I expect.
                T
                Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  So on the Lighter Side?
                  What is everyone working on these days?
                  Probably Working on the Rod & Reel, and Ski Boat.
                  I'm Still working on a few Tele sets, and a few full Sized Humbucker sets.
                  Got a new Scratch build 50 Watt Head amp started.
                  Going to take my time with it, will take most of the Summer I expect.
                  T
                  Just finished a custom guitar for a good repeat customer of mine. This one is for his daughter. It is a Charvel that he rescued. The original owner had painted the body camo like he was going to play it in a duck blind or something. But he had taken the neck off and it was fine. My customer is good at refinishing, his dad had an auto body shop. So he refinished the body in an irridescent metallic blue that looks red or purple or blue depending on the viewing angle. Then he brought it to me with a new Bill and Becky Lawrence L500XL pickup for the bridge and wanted a new pickup made for the neck to go with that, and a custom pickguard with a single volume and tone, and a gibson type 3way switch in between. The original pickguard was cracked so I had to superglue it back together to make a routing template from it. Then I made him a single coil sized neck humbucker, the kind the me and T call a mini-blade. It was wound with #44 SPN to 14 K ohms. This was after I had thoroughly measured and took a lot of notes on the L500XL, to figure out how I wanted to wind the neck. That pickup is not a standard humbucker size, so I had to also make a pickup cutout routing template to fit it. Then I made the custom pickguard, wired it all up, and did a setup on it and it came out pretty nice. He brought his daughter when he came to pick it up, and after playing it he was discussing the idea with her of trading her a new Ukelele for it, so I think he liked it pretty well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JenkinsCharvel2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	829573

By the way, looks like I forgot I had already made a post about this one earlier. Guess I am starting to repeat myself in my old age.
                  Last edited by SonnyW; 07-06-2013, 05:24 PM.
                  www.sonnywalton.com
                  How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                    Just finished a custom guitar for a good repeat customer of mine. This one is for his daughter. It is a Charvel that he rescued. The original owner had painted the body camo like he was going to play it in a duck blind or something. But he had taken the neck off and it was fine. My customer is good at refinishing, his dad had an auto body shop. So he refinished the body in an irridescent metallic blue that looks red or purple or blue depending on the viewing angle. Then he brought it to me with a new Bill and Becky Lawrence L500XL pickup for the bridge and wanted a new pickup made for the neck to go with that, and a custom pickguard with a single volume and tone, and a gibson type 3way switch in between. The original pickguard was cracked so I had to superglue it back together to make a routing template from it. Then I made him a single coil sized neck humbucker, the kind the me and T call a mini-blade. It was wound with #44 SPN to 14 K ohms. This was after I had thoroughly measured and took a lot of notes on the L500XL, to figure out how I wanted to wind the neck. That pickup is not a standard humbucker size, so I had to also make a pickup cutout routing template to fit it. Then I made the custom pickguard, wired it all up, and did a setup on it and it came out pretty nice. He brought his daughter when he came to pick it up, and after playing it he was discussing the idea with her of trading her a new Ukelele for it, so I think he liked it pretty well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24127[/ATTACH]

By the way, looks like I forgot I had already made a post about this one earlier. Guess I am starting to repeat myself in my old age.
                    Very nice Work Sonny.
                    Good Job.
                    I have several things coming up, but right now everyone is either out of town, or out of money!
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

• I guess it's safe to come out now!
                      What's going on everyone?
                      How is the fishing going Jim?
                      What color Hand grenade are the fish biting on?
                      Craig did you get your Chinese Wire Price?
                      I reported that post as spam.
                      Anyone that Registers just to advertise, whether it be Wire, or Tennis shoes, is SPAM!
                      It is Definitely Summertime here!
                      SonnyW must be as busy as a Bull in a big Pasture full of Cows, haven't Heard much out of him lately.
                      Maybe he's making enough money for all of us, we know where to go if the Pantry gets bare.
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 07-11-2013, 07:17 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

Anyone who knows enough to wind a good pickup knows enough to wind their own Emperor Ming style death-ray.

Comment

I guess it's safe to come out now!
                          What's going on everyone?
                          How is the fishing going Jim?
                          Anyone that Registers just to advertise, whether it be Wire, or Tennis shoes, is SPAM!
                          It is Definitely Summertime here!
                          SonnyW must be as busy as a Bull in a big Pasture full of Cows, haven't Heard much out of him lately.
                          Maybe he's making enough money for all of us, we know where to go if the Pantry gets bare.
                          T
                          Not sure about making much money, but I sure have been busy lately. This has been cutting into my yardwork, and even worse, starting to get into my naptime. I had several setups to do last week, got the last one out today. It was a pretty nice Ibanez that looks a lot like a PRS. The next job I have is making up another custom pickguard, but it is a straight 3 single coil strat and that won't take long tomorrow. The thing that has taken the most time this week has been rewinding a couple of the Patent Sticker Gibson mini humbuckers. I have been planning to post details on those since they are kind of rare. Both of them had been taken apart and had their lead wires cut off inside the cover for some reason. The magnets were loose in the bottom of the box. So I had to do some researching on those. In the end I only had to rewind one of the four coils. The last step is the hardest though, the customer wants them to be gold plated. I have brush plating equipment and have done a lot of chrome but not gold. Though my dad did it all the time he was a jeweler. I do have all the stuff to do it though, except for one solution to strip the chrome. After several attempts to get the customer to take them to someone with more experience I gave in. The chrome stripper should be here tomorrow. So when I get a chance I will post a writeup on the 3x3's. They are very interesting. The same customer that had the 3x3 mini's also sent me a 1964 Tele bridge pickup to check over and install the copper plated steel baseplate that had been removed. Naturally I took a lot of notes on all of these.

Name:	IMG_2972.JPG
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	829632 they are the same size it is just the camera angle that makes one look larger.

Name:	IMG_2960.JPG
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	829633 both patent sticker decals in good shape.

Name:	64 Telepup.jpg
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	829634 All I had to do was attach the new baseplate to its lead.
                          Last edited by SonnyW; 07-12-2013, 05:24 AM. Reason: typo
                          www.sonnywalton.com
                          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

I got something but very little detail about the wire
                            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Remington Industries has a new Website.
                              They only list the Wire type, how many feet is on the roll, and no weight.
                              I emailed them tonight, and told them that I didn't know anyone here that would buy a spool of wire without knowing the weight of the spool.
                              It was hard to do the math and tell how much you were paying per pound, without the weight.
                              So looks like the deals are over, and back to Smoke, Mirrors and Deceptive Websites!
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Remington Industries has a new Website.
                                They only list the Wire type, how many feet is on the roll, and no weight.
                                I emailed them tonight, and told them that I didn't know anyone here that would buy a spool of wire without knowing the weight of the spool.
                                It was hard to do the math and tell how much you were paying per pound, without the weight.
                                So looks like the deals are over, and back to Smoke, Mirrors and Deceptive Websites!
                                T
                                I got a return email from Josh at Remington.
                                They will update the site to list wire spool weight of each spool for sale.
                                This is the new site.
                                Remington Industries
                                I notice they now sell HFV wire.
                                Also they are showing HPN in a Red color now.
                                They also are selling hookup wire.
                                If you need 28 gauge hookup wire for humbuckers they now sell it.
                                T
                                Last edited by big_teee; 07-12-2013, 10:05 PM.
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X