Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I charge $65 for single coils (Strat, Tele, bass pickups), a little more for PE or FV like you are saying. I don't rewind epoxied pickups.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

• My "magnet charging etiquette" is measure the magnets. If I think they need to be re-charged I ask the owner.
      I dont touch the magnets unless they approve it. People can be very fickle.

Comment

• All good advice, and thanks.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 06-19-2015, 07:12 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• What's everyone working on this week.
          I've done the rewinds, and a few new bass pickups.
          I'm Still making the bass Sidewinders, and Multi-Coils along.
          What have you been beating and working on this week?
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

• I've got a guitar to build but when it's done I'll be winding a bunch of pickups. It's a 25.5 scale with a Jazzmaster trem and I'm still deciding whether to put a roller tunomatic on it, or a 3-saddle (short) tele bridge so I have an option to string it up as a hardtail as well. If I was sure the strings wouldn't stick on the tele saddles, I'd go with that.

Anyway.. pickups! I'm going to rout it to accept humbuckers, P90's, telecaster style single coils, and Jazzmaster pickups. Any pots and switches will mount to a removeable plate so I can plug-and-play different wiring setups.

Trying out different pickups, and refining the designs of the ones I like should keep me busy for a while.

Comment

• I'm always keeping an eye out for bargain guitars to use for pickup testing.
              Here's a bargain on a strat guitar from Rondo, that is on sale and a good deal.
              I've owned several of this model, in both rosewood, and maple necks.
              I had a black one like this w/MN, that I did additional shielding foil, new pots, switch and pickups.
              I blocked the bridge, put SCs, in Neck and Middle, and a 15k blade in the bridge.
              It sounded Killer, everyone liked it. Someone wanted it badly, so I sold it.
              They are not perfect as they are, Very adaptable, and a lot of good usable parts for the money.
              SX Hawk MN CAR w/Free Bag and DVD - RondoMusic.com
              GL,
              T
              Terry

Comment

• I have had a few in for setups . they are good value for money. one guy even loved the original pickups in it, that he wanted me to replicate them....I refused

Comment

• I have a box full of removed pickups like that.
                  I never cared for them.
                  The Guitar on the other hand is well worth the under $70.
                  Here's the black one I had here, that everyone liked.
                  It had a couple of my 4/2 single coils, and a 15+k Micro Mini Blade, I made for the bridge.
                  T
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by big_teee; 09-11-2015, 02:29 PM.
                  Terry

Comment

• yep. basswood bodies are surprisingly great for tone. I even had a Tokai Les Paul in for setup the other week, with a basswood body(and maple cap) , it sounded fantastic

Comment

• They used to be Alder, now they are basswood.
                      Can't tell much difference in their Alder, & Basswood bodies.
                      However the necks IMO make a huge difference.
                      IME all the M/N models are much brighter, and aggressive sounding, than the R/N models.
                      A good quality guitar for under $70 is hard to find.
                      If you want one, better grab it, they won't be on sale long.
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 09-12-2015, 02:06 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

• I used to have a nice looking and excellent player Squier Strat Standard. The body was basswood. It had a "plastic-y" groundtone I just couldn't live with, so I sold it.

Never again got any basswood instrument.

HTH,
                        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                        Milano, Italy

Comment

• I like them, but I build the pickups and everything around the guitar when I get one.
                          I've built up a bunch for demo guitars, and someone always wants them more than me, and buys them.
                          Sounds like you may have had a plastic nut, or electronics problem, but I can't diagnose over the web! lol
                          These are not thousand dollar custom guitars, but El-Cheapo's great for testing and demoing pickups.
                          T
                          Last edited by big_teee; 09-13-2015, 07:39 PM.
                          Terry

Comment

• Anyone making a 42awg Tele neck pickup they like?
                            I just made one for my 3 pickup import tele.
                            I had a A3 43awg neck pickup, and it was not strong or stratty sounding enough to go with the middle 42awg strat pickup.
                            So I made a new 42awg tele neck model with .688 x .195 A5s, I stuck the access magnet out the bottom.
                            For wire, I used some small 42SP, that measures just under .0026"
                            Put a chrome cover on it, and it sounds great.
                            Now I think it sounds more stratty than the middle strat pickup?
                            I like to stay with the tele neck pickup rather than going to a strat neck pickup in a tele, because the spacing is better on the tele neck pickup.
                            Anyone else make something similar, we can compare and discuss?
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

• Sound hole pickup?

Anyone here making a sound hole pickup for an acoustic?
                              I have a blues playing grandson that plays an acoustic and sings solo some.
                              He was wanting more of a electricsolid body magnetic pickup sound with his acoustic.
                              He also plays a strat in a band, but plays the acoustic when he does solo act.
                              I think SD makes a pickup that can be installed in a Sound hole?
                              Not sure if that is something I could make or not?
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

• I recall dean markley making an acoustic pickup in the 80's which was embedded in a piece of wood which went across the sound hole

pickup was built into the cavity in the wood from underneath. if I recall correctly they were a blade pickup with windings which were spaced quite a distance from the magnet.

the whole thing was then encased in epoxy with a shielded cable coming out

they were quite popular in the 80's and yet whilst they didn't have a great acoustic tone... were somewhere between and electric and an acoustic....

I think they are still around today.... I think the best think about it was mounting system which was simple and effective

Comment

Working...
                                X