Potting Epiphone humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potting Epiphone humbuckers

Well, I got a chance to use my coffee maker wax pot (as described here: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t31683/ )

A friend has an Epiphone Les Paul with squealy pickups (don't they all?). He didn't want to replace them and asked if anything could be done. Never having opened one up I had no idea what I was in for. Attempts at removing the cover were futile. Even heating the covers with a blow drier didn't get them loose enough to lift before the base plate pops off. It isn't screwed to anything and is only adhered in place because the pickup cover is filled with wax before the plate is mushed on. Obviously the wax is poured in over the cold assembly because the pickups are microphonic. No screws hold anything together either. Everything is just placed together, held somewhat by the magnet and the wax is poured in. Attempting to heat and pry them apart would almost certainly ruin them. So...

I just plopped them whole into the wax pot. I kept the base plates lifted out of the way but the rest was submerged. I left them in there until all the internal wax had meted and I could actually see the assebly inside. The bobbins are clear and to my surprise they are taped too. No matter. Nothing to lose now. After about 15 minutes the pickups were at euqilibrium with the wax and the big bubbles had stopped. So I took a wooden stick and proceeded to tap vigorously on the assemblies until no more small bubbles would emerge. I left them in for another ten minutes and taped again for good measure. They seemed to have given up all the air they would so I removed them.

It worked. The pickups are squeal free. Now I need to back them with foam or something to take up the space previously occupied by the wax and solder the base plates to the covers.

I know most people replace these things. But if potting them ever comes up, this worked for me.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Glad the Potting worked out ok.
    Can you give us more details how the coffee pot worked?
    What temp you achieved, and how long it took to melt the wax?
    Overall accessment?
    Have You Started Building your winder Yet?
    Thanks,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Ah!?! Not building a winder (I'm not, I'm not, I'm not). Too many irons in the fire as it is.

I melted the wax with the carafe right on the burner plate. That took about 20 min. Then I checked temp (150*), put in one tile insulator and placed the pickups in. The temp dropped to 140* and slowly rose to 150* in over the course of 15 min. Which is about the time it took for the pickups to shed their puck like potting and come up to temp. This is when I agitated and tapped the asseblies so they would give up more air. I added the second tile and waited ten min. The temp dropped and stabilized at 145*. I tapped and agitated the assemblies again for good measure and then removed them.

I think that next time I'll just melt the wax on the burner (20 min.) and then add both tiles and wait for another 20 min. before starting. Less dinking around with temp regulation that way.

The foam backing and soldering the covers on went fine. But I think I might have lost a pot while resoldering the ground to it. I was careful to place the pot wiper off the end tabs too. That usually keeps them from failing. But you lose one now and then anyhow. It may only need to be cleaned. I dunno. I didn't actuallt test it before starting.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        Ah!?! Not building a winder (I'm not, I'm not, I'm not). Too many irons in the fire as it is.
        Ahhh, what's one more little iron in the fire? As a total newcomer to winding myself, I can say it has truly become an incredible fulfilling learning experience!
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

Working...
        X