Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beveled magnets on tele bridge pickup with flat pole design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beveled magnets on tele bridge pickup with flat pole design?

Do most people bevel the magnets on pickups with flat pole designs?
    I've built a few and haven't beveled them, but it sure is a pain in the ass to get the magnets into the flatwork at times.

I've been using a drill press with a very small half inch nut driver to press in the pole pieces into the bottom flatwork and then using spacers and a rubber mallet to put in the top piece.
    The top piece is where it's most problematic. I'm also getting a plastic faced hammer as the rubber mallet isn't hard enough and can actually force the flatwork down around the pole piece causing a slight indentation.
    I often get the little half moon pieces on the top that I can remove with an exacto knife, but I'm wondering if beveling slightly would be the easier way to go and make for better and smoother looking bobbins.

I've tried to compare other pickups I have, Kleins, Fralins, Budz and see if they are beveled, but it's hard to say one way or the other.

How do you guys make your bobbins?
    Do you bevel on flat pole designs on the top, top and bottom, neither?

Any help would be appreciated.

It usually depends on your volume of pickups.
    Most builders that build lots of SCs, like to press the magnets in like they come in the rough, and in the sharp.
    I am a low volume hand winder and detest any sharp edges on pickups, including magnets.
    I very slightly bevel each end of each magnet in all my Single Coil Pickups.
    I chuck each magnet up in a drill and spin them on a grinding wheel.
    It is time consuming, but IMO it is worth the effort.
    I always let my Tele bridge pickups stick through the flatwork just a little.
    I don't make them flush! But, that is my Preference, you may want to do them different.
    Players always seem to Ooh and Aah over beveled Single Coils, that look Old.
    I beat my magnets in with a small hammer or mallot.
    Don't beat on them hard enough to chip them, but I like that beat on look.
    Lot's of varibles with Single coils.
    Good Luck,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatwent View Post
      I've been using a drill press with a very small half inch nut driver to press in the pole pieces into the bottom flatwork and then using spacers and a rubber mallet to put in the top piece.
      The top piece is where it's most problematic. I'm also getting a plastic faced hammer as the rubber mallet isn't hard enough and can actually force the flatwork down around the pole piece causing a slight indentation.
      I often get the little half moon pieces on the top that I can remove with an exacto knife, but I'm wondering if beveling slightly would be the easier way to go and make for better and smoother looking bobbins.

How do you guys make your bobbins?
      Do you bevel on flat pole designs on the top, top and bottom, neither?

Any help would be appreciated.
      Try using a 5 mm socket in your drill press to press the top forbon down over the magnets. It just fits over the magnets and works nice. The only problem is getting it centered correctly. So I usually start with a 5.5 mm socket to get them started in my arbor press, start them all, and then change to the 5 mm to press them down to the spacer. This works with both beveled and unbeveled magnets. I use both beveled and sharp styles depending on the model I am making but I prefer to bevel them slightly for most. It is a little more trouble but the assembly is easier and it looks better. I have tried tumbling them and that is a good compromise, but it takes time. I don't buy them beveled, I do it with a drill motor and a grindstone, and it doesn't take too long to do. I think some people may make an issue of how beveling might change the sound by focusing the magnetic window narrower but I don't ever hear any difference in any of my pickups beveled versus not. I do hear things related to magnet heights though. There is a slight issue with playing comfort though a lot of folks hate the not beveled magnets. Beveled goes in much easier and no one complains about it unless it is overdone, or not the same on all the poles.
      Last edited by SonnyW; 02-25-2013, 04:31 AM. Reason: can't type late at night
      www.sonnywalton.com
      How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Working...
      X