• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    Sounds good.
    We need pictures.
    Try using 44 Gauge wire.
    I used 43PE. Dont ask about turns because my counter needs new batteries and basically reset itself like 3 times during this wind. All I had to spare were some humbucker bobbins, a piece of strat flatwork, and some .195-.710 A5 mags. Not gonna describe how I built it, it's easy to see. Obviously it's a mismatched coil which wont give you total humbucking but is still quieter than a single-coil. It measures about 11.15k-ohms. Ask some specifics if you want I guess, not much to tell though. I'm gonna rubberband and pot it later tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	828532

Name:	IMG_0928.JPG
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	828533

Name:	IMG_0929.JPG
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	828534

Name:	IMG_0930.JPG
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	828535

Name:	IMG_0932.JPG
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	828536

In case you're wondering - it's a single wire. wound them in opposite directions. Bottom first, then up the notch, round the top a billion times (nah, more like 6000 or so) and back down the notch for a couple of loops then in the eyelet.

-Rob
    Last edited by rhgwynn; 03-23-2013, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Good job, you beat me to the Humbucker bobbins.
      I'm still going to do it with 2 regular equal height humbucker bobbins, with 4 wire.
      That way I can test different scenarios, and experiment with the shield in between, and see what effects phasing.
      Anyone else wants to jump in and try there hand at it is welcome.
      The more the merrier.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Good job, you beat me to the Humbucker bobbins.
        I'm still going to do it with 2 regular equal height humbucker bobbins, with 4 wire.
        That way I can test different scenarios, and experiment with the shield in between, and see what effects phasing.
        Anyone else wants to jump in and try there hand at it is welcome.
        The more the merrier.
        T
        There's a strip of foil tape between the two bobs. It's not grounded or anything but hey - it's something. Also, remember which way you wrap the top coil. I almost installed the thing out of phase before remembering that I ended up going CCW for the top, so I had to magnetize it North up. Honestly, I am not sure how much I like it yet. I didnt pot it yet, and cant crank it to sometime after noon. So, I'll see. I'm thinking that maybe I did not go high enough on the DCR to get a great sound. But, whatever; it's a good experiment to keep busy when you're waiting for parts so you can wind stuff for your customers.

-Rob

Comment

Because of the brightness, and everyone else says the same that you need to go high wraps.
          My first one had promise, except too bright.
          It was extremely microphonic with the JCM800 2204, even on low gain untill I potted it.
          The Duncan Strat Stacks run from 12k to 21k.
          So that tells me the need for lots of turns.
          Seymour Duncan
          Halfway down the chart.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I wound two coils with 44 Gauge wire.
            The rods go through both coils.
            I can mount the coils on a strat baseplate or a gibson style baseplate.
            Wired it with 4 wire.
            Going to start testing on it with a SG type guitar with a stop tail.
            The guitar has a access hole in the back so it will be easier to switch and try different wiring.
            Will check the humbucker, split and phase reverse with the 4 wire.
            If it works out, and I get a working scenario, I will move it to the strat type base plate
            With the 2 separate coils, I can try shield a shield in the middle, I can also try using steel poles with the magnets in the middle.
            I'll try to get some pictures, of what I am testing.
            T
            **Edit
            I hooked it all up and this sounded better than the first pickup I tested.
            I used 44spn wire, and this time they are more in phase, even though they are wired the same as the other pickup.
            I used two coils the same height, and the same amount of magnet in each coil.(This should put the N, S, Null in the middle between the coils)
            I also used A2 magnets instead of A5s. Trying to control the brightness.
            This did help.
            So, for the time being I have this one wired like the other.
            with equal height coils and equal magnet length.
            Combined DCR of the two coils is about 20.6k.
            I noticed that other factory stock stacks are very high DCR, IMO because of the brightness.
            I tried split, just playing the top coil.
            The pickup was nearly as loud with one coil, as with both coils.
            Appears that one coil over the other with only one magnet, is not efficient.
            It does hum cancel and sounds humbuckery!
            More testing to follow!
            Last edited by big_teee; 03-24-2013, 06:38 PM.
            Terry

Comment

I wound two coils with 44 Gauge wire.
              The rods go through both coils.
              I can mount the coils on a strat baseplate or a gibson style baseplate.
              Wired it with 4 wire.
              Going to start testing on it with a SG type guitar with a stop tail.
              The guitar has a access hole in the back so it will be easier to switch and try different wiring.
              Will check the humbucker, split and phase reverse with the 4 wire.
              If it works out, and I get a working scenario, I will move it to the strat type base plate
              With the 2 separate coils, I can try shield a shield in the middle, I can also try using steel poles with the magnets in the middle.
              I'll try to get some pictures, of what I am testing.
              T
              **Edit
              I hooked it all up and this sounded better than the first pickup I tested.
              I used 44spn wire, and this time they are more in phase, even though they are wired the same as the other pickup.
              I used two coils the same height, and the same amount of magnet in each coil.(This should put the N, S, Null in the middle between the coils)
              I also used A2 magnets instead of A5s. Trying to control the brightness.
              This did help.
              So, for the time being I have this one wired like the other.
              with equal height coils and equal magnet length.
              Combined DCR of the two coils is about 20.6k.
              I noticed that other factory stock stacks are very high DCR, IMO because of the brightness.
              I tried split, just playing the top coil.
              The pickup was nearly as loud with one coil, as with both coils.
              Appears that one coil over the other with only one magnet, is not efficient.
              It does hum cancel and sounds humbuckery!
              More testing to follow!
              PICS or it DIDNT HAPPEN!

-Rob

Comment

It's still 1/2A__ed in the guitar.
                I think this one is usable.
                I want to try bending the sheet metal like your diagram.
                Thinking of coming from the bottom, but just up on one side.
                When you tested yours?
                You had different height coils?
                Did you notice the out of phasing, that I had with the first Pickup I built?
                This second one didn't have that, issue.
                I think because the null wasn't between the coils on the first one.
                BTW Trust me, it all happened! This is my project why wouldn't it happen?
                Pics wasn't handy this time. I post some along, but not everytime.
                We need more testers.
                This could be adapted to different pickups including the Stacked P90.
                Also I tried the split again.
                The top coil is nice and loud.
                Just the bottom coil by itself is less that half the volume of the top coil.
                Last edited by big_teee; 03-24-2013, 09:32 PM.
                Terry

Comment

I would hope so! I'm thinking of just peeling the tape and throwing some more winds on mine.
                  I would be sure that it contacts the magnet just below the point where it becomes South, but I would also go up both sides. Try making the holes in the metal for the poles as tight as possibly for a solid mag. field loop.
                  When you tested yours?
                  Yes. I only did that because I was making do with what I had on hand. The mags were to short for it to be any taller.
                  No. But it was not completely humbucking; just reduced hum. That's what you get when you dont have even coils.
                  I'm just messin with you buddy. It's a meme, Pics or It Didn't Happen | Know Your Meme
                  We need more testers.
                  Looking forward to seeing what you came up with.
                  -Rob

Comment

When you tested yours?
                    We need more testers.
                    I wonder if one could incorporate this as the sheet metal,but metal foil will probably be easier way to go
                    Mojotone Jaguar Pickup Claw
                    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                      I wonder if one could incorporate this as the sheet metal,but metal foil will probably be easier way to go
                      Good call man!

-Rob

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                        How does the one in the mojo picture fit on the jag pickup?
                        Does it turn over and the claws stick up toward the strings?
                        T
                        ** edit
                        Never mind, I found it.
                        http://www.google.com/search?q=jagua...2F%3B550%3B413
                        Terry

Comment

Here is my test Stack, mounted in my SG type test guitar.
                          It will eventually get mounted on a Strat type baseplate, and go in my test strat.
                          Not to pretty in its current state, but this platform allows a lot of changable options for testing.
                          Terry

Comment

Here is my test Stack, mounted in my SG type test guitar.
                            It will eventually get mounted on a Strat type baseplate, and go in my test strat.
                            Not to pretty in its current state, but this platform allows a lot of changable options for testing.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]22587[/ATTACH]
                            Yesterday I Scrapped, and peeled the first Strat pickup.
                            I put the 6- .781" A5 Mags in the Stacked made from the Humbucker Bobbins.
                            I put some metal shielding tape between the bobbins.
                            When I played it, I noticed it had become brighter and harsher.
                            Also in the process the new A5s with the shielding tape, had become very microphonic.
                            Didn't have that with the A2s and no shielding tape.
                            Also with the longer magnets, they may have been touching the metal baseplate on the bottom.
                            The A2s were short and didn't touch the metal baseplate. So that may be the microphonic source.
                            I could put some tape under the bobbin to rule that out.
                            So far I prefer the Stack over the Tapped pickup.
                            Also a feature I like better than the Tapped pickup, is when you play the Stacked in Split mode.
                            The stacked pickup when split using the top only coil, is just as loud as in hum canceling mode.
                            So you don't get that annoying half volume issue, you have with Tapped Pickups.
                            Next will be to mount the two stacked bobbins on strat flatwork and get it in the Strat test guitar.
                            I have a switch for split mode.
                            So far I've learned the following.
                            1. Use Overwound bobbins (Pickup is inherently bright)
                            2. Because of the brightness issue I preferred A2 Magnets, and a larger tone Cap.
                            3. Pickup splits well if using top bobbin.
                            4. Equal bobbin height seems to help keep the pickup in phase (You want the N/S null between the bobbins)
                            5. If both bobbins are wound the same direction, tie the output to one start lead, tie the finish leads together, and ground the other start.
                            Or you can feed and ground the finsih leads and tie the starts together, either way.
                            6. Bobbins wound CCW and Magnets North up, is compatible with most humbuckers. If used with SCs, you may have to experiment with this.
                            7. Using Humbucker bobbins instead of flatwork is easier than a one piece forbon dual bobbin. Instead of using black humbucker tape, you can use white Teflon tape, if the bobbin is white, or vintage white.
                            8. If using humbucker bobbins for bridge pickups in Fender type guitars, for better pole allignment, use the 53mm Humbucker bobbins.

** The above Info is non Conclusive, and Strictly the Opinions of BigT.
                            You are encouraged to try this one, and your Mileage and results may Vary!
                            Good Luck,
                            Last edited by big_teee; 03-28-2013, 05:19 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

Yesterday I Scrapped, and peeled the first Strat pickup.
                              I put the 6- .781" A5 Mags in the Stacked made from the Humbucker Bobbins.
                              I put some metal shielding tape between the bobbins.
                              When I played it, I noticed it had become brighter and harsher.
                              Also in the process the new A5s with the shielding tape, had become very microphonic.
                              Didn't have that with the A2s and no shielding tape.

Also with the longer magnets, they may have been touching the metal baseplate on the bottom.
                              The A2s were short and didn't touch the metal baseplate. So that may be the microphonic source.
                              I could put some tape under the bobbin to rule that out.
                              So far I prefer the Stack over the Tapped pickup.
                              Also a feature I like better than the Tapped pickup, is when you play the Stacked in Split mode.
                              The stacked pickup when split using the top only coil, is just as loud as in hum canceling mode.
                              So you don't get that annoying half volume issue, you have with Tapped Pickups.
                              Next will be to mount the two stacked bobbins on strat flatwork and get it in the Strat test guitar.
                              I have a switch for split mode.
                              So far I've learned the following.
                              1. Use Overwound bobbins (Pickup is inherently bright)
                              2. Because of the brightness issue I preferred A2 Magnets, and a larger tone Cap.
                              3. Pickup splits well if using top bobbin.
                              4. Equal bobbin height seems to help keep the pickup in phase (You want the N/S null between the bobbins)
                              5. If both bobbins are wound the same direction, tie the output to one start lead, tie the finish leads together, and ground the other start.
                              Or you can feed and ground the finsih leads and tie the starts together, either way.
                              6. Bobbins wound CCW and Magnets North up, is compatible with most humbuckers. If used with SCs, you may have to experiment with this.
                              7. Using Humbucker bobbins instead of flatwork is easier than a one piece forbon dual bobbin. Instead of using black humbucker tape, you can use white Teflon tape, if the bobbin is white, or vintage white.
                              8. If using humbucker bobbins for bridge pickups in Fender type guitars, for better pole allignment, use the 53mm Humbucker bobbins.

** The above Info is non Conclusive, and Strictly the Opinions of BigT.
                              You are encouraged to try this one, and your Mileage and results may Vary!
                              Good Luck,
                              The 52mm or 53mm bucker bobbins work for a Strat pup but for a Tele bridge pup that has a wider spacing you probably have to go with forbon bobbins
                              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads
                                The 52mm or 53mm bucker bobbins work for a Strat pup but for a Tele bridge pup that has a wider spacing you probably have to go with forbon bobbins
                                Thanks Copper, Your correct!
                                The humbucker bobbin is not ideal for the tele bridge pickup.
                                The pole spacing needs to be wider , and the overall dimensions of the tele bridge pickup is larger.
                                It might work for an import tele, they have a narrower pole spacing.
                                Someone needs to tackle a Tele pickup and let us know what you come up with.
                                Maybe try the A3 Magnets with it.
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X