Tapped Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapped Out

Just started experimenting with tapped pickups. Went all out and wound a triple. 5.8k, 7.1k, and 12k; all in 44HP. It's getting potted as soon as the wax is melted. Then after a few tests of another pup already in the guitar; I'm going to load it up in the neck position and wire it to the 5-way. Should be pretty interesting. Anyone want to share any insight?

I'm not sure how you plan to wire it up, but sometimes you can get some really nice tones using the outer windings. So if you haven't considered it already, try setting it up to connect the outer taps only. The middle tap on its own might require a slight boost, but it should give you a very flat response... If you've never played through a very low-z coil, it's a cool experience. The sound is very open, smooth, and not unlike a steel string acoustic in tonal quality. Have fun, I look forward to hearing your results. I actually have an order that just came in for a set of active coil-tapped humbuckers. That will definitely be a party and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
      Just started experimenting with tapped pickups. Went all out and wound a triple. 5.8k, 7.1k, and 12k; all in 44HP. It's getting potted as soon as the wax is melted. Then after a few tests of another pup already in the guitar; I'm going to load it up in the neck position and wire it to the 5-way. Should be pretty interesting. Anyone want to share any insight?
      Don't have a clue about what the heck yer talkin' about but, "git 'er done"!!
      I tap at the gun range, I tap my guitar, my beer kegs and sometimes when I've tapped enough beer, I try to tap dance. Tapped pickups??? My technology skills are 'tapped' to stop understanding anything after an on/off switch or volume 0-10.

Is tapped the 4-wire stuff??

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Evans View Post
        I'm not sure how you plan to wire it up, but sometimes you can get some really nice tones using the outer windings. So if you haven't considered it already, try setting it up to connect the outer taps only. The middle tap on its own might require a slight boost, but it should give you a very flat response... If you've never played through a very low-z coil, it's a cool experience. The sound is very open, smooth, and not unlike a steel string acoustic in tonal quality. Have fun, I look forward to hearing your results. I actually have an order that just came in for a set of active coil-tapped humbuckers. That will definitely be a party and a half.
        Well, I was going to start out by grounding the start, and just connecting the three leads to the 5-way and seeing what happens. The 2 & 4 positions should be interesting. But if you have a wiring diagram for what you described I'd definitely try it out. I could easily do it so that an inner and outer coil are selectable; but to have all main options at once would be optimal. I think I might need a super-switch for that though...

Comment

I tried it on an earlier thread, and I came to the assumption, that I don't like Tapped pickups.
          But, I hope you have all the success, and we encourage all projects, and pickup testing here.
          As far as my insight, it is I moved on to next project, no taps for me!
          Way to much work to just end up with Single Coils, and no hum canceling.
          I moved on to Stacked Pickups, and liked them much better, plus you get hum canceling as a bonus!
          The Big Volume difference in taps, drove me crazy, and I don't care for balance pots on a strat.
          Let us know how it works out!
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 05-31-2013, 04:10 PM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by old guy View Post
            Don't have a clue about what the heck yer talkin' about but, "git 'er done"!!
            I tap at the gun range, I tap my guitar, my beer kegs and sometimes when I've tapped enough beer, I try to tap dance. Tapped pickups??? My technology skills are 'tapped' to stop understanding anything after an on/off switch or volume 0-10.

Is tapped the 4-wire stuff??
            They are probably talking Tapped single coils for Strats, and Teles.
            IMO you probably want to stick to all the bucker stuff.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              They are probably talking Tapped single coils for Strats, and Teles.
              IMO you probably want to stick to all the bucker stuff.
              T
              10//4 that T!
              Hey ... while yer reading this, how do I post pictures? I've had a bunch, including Bill Lawrence pups I own ... all reduced to 80 x 80 pixel size in .jpeg (which is like a small avatar) and still the thing won't let me attach pics

Comment

Originally posted by old guy View Post
                10//4 that T!
                Hey ... while yer reading this, how do I post pictures? I've had a bunch, including Bill Lawrence pups I own ... all reduced to 80 x 80 pixel size in .jpeg (which is like a small avatar) and still the thing won't let me attach pics
                At the top of your post there is a picture button, that says "Insert Image"
                Insert the image there.
                T
                Last edited by big_teee; 05-31-2013, 08:38 PM.
                Terry

Comment

Well, I think it's pretty awesome! At one end you have that classic Stratty sound; and the other you have a strong, thick sound with a real punch that pushes the tubes straight into overdrive. Works REALLY great with my TC-Electronics MojoMojo overdrive pedal. I'm seriously going to have to figure out how to get three of these things to play along in a single pickguard. The switching is going to be a bitty to sort out though.

Comment

Insert the image there.
                    T
                    EXAMPLE:
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]23607[/ATTACH]
                    WOW ... LOOK AT THAT PICKUP !!!! Is that a potting wax shine???

The Insert Image thang just looks at me as a full white page with a small 'Browse' box for finding yer picture. I fill the Browse slot with pic location, then, the arrow circle just spins forever and goes no where. Again, pics are really small file size 89 x 80 pixels.

Comment

Insert the image there.
                      T
                      EXAMPLE:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]23607[/ATTACH]
                      Starting a new thread .....Winders show us your tractors .
                      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                        Starting a new thread .....Winders show us your tractors .
                        I'll delete that soon, Just wondered if anyone would notice!

**Gone
                        Old Guy, after you browse and find you Pic, You then have to upload it!
                        T
                        Last edited by big_teee; 05-31-2013, 08:49 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

i did a couple tapped single coils a few years back, a strat and a tele bridge.... i quite liked the effect and found it worthwhile.

More recently I've gotten onto a humbucker kick, and have found that there seems to be quite a serious difference in tone between equally wound coils and offset coil winds, even by just a couple hundred turns, and have been thinking about winding up a tap to switch between equal and offset humbucker coils; the output would be the same, but should offer a useful tonal shift.

Comment

Working...
                          X