Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is Alternative Source of Butyrate Bobbins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Alternative Source of Butyrate Bobbins?

Just wonderin'. As a newbie at this, I'm beginning to think my initial supply line is a bit on the expensive side and has a hard time answering questions pertaining to what I am buying.
    I'd like to stick as close as possible to mid to late 50's PAF style components. I can't seem to find any other sources for butyrate bobbins with circle in square hole other than my original source.

As far as I know, Everyone buys the butyrates from Mojotone.
    Mojotone Cream Vintage PAF Butyrate Humbucker Slug and Screw Side Bobbins 49.2mm (1.94")
    I have had good luck with the regular mojo bobbins.
    Not sure what they make them out of.
    Mojo Pickup Parts » Mojotone Humbucker Screw Side Pickup Bobbin Black 49.2mm (1.94'')
    All the vintage stuff is too rich for my blood.
    The Mojo PAF kit, has some nice parts in there.
    Mojotone Vintage Humbucker Pickup Kit (Double Black)
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I like Mojotones bobbins. The prices aren't too bad IMHO. My only complaint, the smell. When I open the storage container, Butyrate to my nose smells like vomit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
        I like Mojotones bobbins. The prices aren't too bad IMHO. My only complaint, the smell. When I open the storage container, Butyrate to my nose smells like vomit.
        Hi Jim .. Waddaya mean the "prices aren't too bad" ?? You think $8 bucks for a pair is good?? I really like their butyrate bobbins too ... especially now that I've opened a Gibson 57 Classic pickup and see a bobbin that looks identical to Mojo. Back to my original question .. is there anyone else selling them cheaper? I can't find them if someone else exists. Please enlighten me.

I bought a 1/2 dozen pairs of Mojo's regular .80 cent bobbins to see if there'd be a tonal difference. I got them and, don't wanna use them because the ends are 'clipped' (it's just a personal problem). Who can tell me why they're made like that??

On the smell, now that you made me smell mine, I think someone may have barfed in your container earlier on and the acid content burned into the thing giving you the smell. I've barfed in containers before .. hasn't everybody???
        Last edited by old guy; 06-19-2013, 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by old guy View Post
          Hi Jim .. Waddaya mean the "prices aren't too bad" ?? You think $8 bucks for a pair is good?? I really like their butyrate bobbins too ... especially now that I've opened a Gibson 57 Classic pickup and see a bobbin that looks identical to Mojo. Back to my original question .. is there anyone else selling them cheaper? I can't find them if someone else exists. Please enlighten me.

I bought a 1/2 dozen pairs of Mojo's regular .80 cent bobbins to see if there'd be a tonal difference. I got them and, don't wanna use them because the ends are 'clipped' (it's just a personal problem). Who can tell me why they're made like that??

On the smell, now that you made me smell mine, I think someone may have barfed in your container earlier on and the acid content burned into the thing giving you the smell. I've barfed in containers before .. hasn't everybody???
          The chip your referring to is probably the flat end on the bottom.
          Some bobbins have the flat spot, and some have a half circle cut out.
          These bobbins have no hole on the bottom.
          The flat end or notch has no effect on winding. I have used many of both.
          If you want a hole, you can drill one, or do like I do, and cut a small groove in the bottom for the wire to break out of.
          Another bobbin I used to use a lot, is the Guitar Parts USA bobbin.
          PB492CR - Cream Neck Humbucker Bobbin 49.2mm, Screw Side - Guitar Parts USA – The Source for Guitar Parts for Electric, Bass Guitars
          They have the round hole on top, and a notch on the bottom.
          These bobbins are a little larger, a little taller and hold more wire.
          They are great for bridge overwound pickups.
          You can get 9.5-10k of 42 Single build wire on them.
          IMO all the bobbins sound similar.
          Tone Variation IMO, comes from the size of the wire, the magnet used, and the material the metal parts are made from.
          And, of course your winding.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Nope, $8 a pair is not bad to me. A whole pickup costs me about $35 for the materials I like? Less if I buy in bulk? No, great price as far as I am concerned. But I am not in mass production either.

Comment

Don't know if they are Butyrate, but StewMac has some vintage looking bobbins.
              STEWMAC.COM : Humbucker Bobbin Set
              I just want to Make it clear to Beginners and Hobbyist's that these bobbins are only needed or used when trying to make a Vintage PAF Replica Pickup.
              Same with PE wire, they are only needed or used for vintage Rewinds or Replica pickups.
              If you are trying to make Economical Good Quality pickups, use modern components such as Poly wire, and Plastic PVC bobbins.
              T
              Terry

Comment

You wont find the butyrate bobbins anywhere else except Mojotone ,They get them from one of the Reputable PAF winders ,& No it's not me
                Last edited by copperheadroads; 06-20-2013, 10:12 AM.
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Outside of being vintage and getting the proper look, can Anyone tell any difference in the tone of the pickups, with and without butyrate bobbins?
                  I made one set with the butyrates, and it was with the AFX baseplate.
                  The bobbins were OK, but didn't care for the baseplate.
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 06-20-2013, 05:58 AM.
                  Terry

Comment

I like the full oval bobbins, the alternate full oval bobbins out there to my eyes the cream color is hideous. The Mojo butyrate has a nice cream color that is easy to match up with most Duncan and Dimarzio cream rings.

Nice to know your experience with those parts. I have had different results. Good thing we have choices.

Comment

Vintage stuff is great. It looks cool. If that is the look your going for.
                      I just don't want the general pickup community Here, to think they are necessary to make good quality pickups.
                      One part that could be improved on, IMO is the generic keeper bar.
                      I don't care if it is stamped or how it is made, I just want a steel keeper that is as thick as the bar magnet Used.
                      If the keeper is not as thick as the magnet, nothing sets straight, and everything is whopper Jawed when you tighten the bobbin screws.
                      All the kit keepers, and all the stamped keepers I've used are the thinner type.
                      I have noticed that all the keepers in Duncan and Gibson rewinds have the thicker keeper.
                      Other than that, I don't see much lacking to keep anyone from making a quality pickup with inexpensive parts.
                      So from this thread please keep the Butyrate Bobbins in perspective.
                      Rock On!
                      Terry

Comment

Working...
                      X