Is Pup Tone Outcome Affected By ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Pup Tone Outcome Affected By ...

Although I've been more than happy with all my winds so far, I believe my spindle/shaft may not be rotating true. Everyone of my bobbins by the time I hit 3000 winds or so, starts 'loading' opposite ends of the bobbin creating a uniform hill on each side of the pup. Or, it could be my mounting plate.
    Anyways, to eliminate the possibility of non-level winds anymore, I'm gonna have a machine shop make me a 3" x 3/4" x 3/4" mounting block with a left hand thread to spin directly on to shaft.

Does the tone of the pup have anything to do with one side of wire being stacked up against the bobbin wall??

If I were to take an hour to wind a bobbin at slow speed, I could control this this. Problem is, I have a variable speed motor which I like to crank to get the 4500-6000 winds put on in less than 12 minutes. Maybe the 2-way tape that holds the bobbin on 'flexes' at high speed???? It's all good 'cause again, the outcome is fine. It's my OCD/ADD/AARP/etc need for perfection.

What say youzz??

That is known as Runout.
    the bobbins not turning true, like you said.
    I'm a primitive winder, with just things stuck on with tape.
    I periodically stop, evaluate the bobbin, and push on the end of the bobbin toward the center of the wind area.
    If it gets worse, your pushing the end the wrong direction.
    I do this several times during my winding.
    Keep in mind, I'm retired, and the time I spend winding is not as important as if I were in a hurry, and really needed to get things done.
    The other thing, I don't know what your calling high speed.
    I usually spend 15-20 minutes per bobbin, but I don't make many, and that time is not an issue.
    Everytime I try to wind real fast, usually Strange things of the non friendly kind happen!
    Welcome Back,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      That is known as Runout.
      the bobbins not turning true, like you said.
      I'm a primitive winder, with just things stuck on with tape.
      I periodically stop, evaluate the bobbin, and push on the end of the bobbin toward the center of the wind area.
      If it gets worse, your pushing the end the wrong direction.
      I do this several times during my winding.
      Keep in mind, I'm retired, and the time I spend winding is not as important as if I were in a hurry, and really needed to get things done.
      The other thing, I don't know what your calling high speed.
      I usually spend 15-20 minutes per bobbin, but I don't make many, and that time is not an issue.
      Everytime I try to wind real fast, usually Strange things of the non friendly kind happen!
      Welcome Back,
      T
      Thanks T ... trying to get the house prepared for hurricane season. We got all kinds of tornadoes teasing us this morning here on the Gulf coast. Flippin' hate it!!!! Anyways ... thanks!! runout is the word I used to know. My bench grinder flies up to 10,000 rpm. Not that I get 'er goin' any where near that but, I do make the bobbin become a blur. With my aluminum guides, I don't have any negative results at any speed EXCEPT the one 'runout' problem. Which ... does not exist if I take my time and have the bobbin run slowly so I can CLEARLY view the top & bottom as she spins.

Comment

Are you winding in a Chuck? If I used a grinder/lathe to wind I would just get a small chuck grab a round plate and cut it in the machine then toll be true to the spindle regardeless.

Comment

I've experienced run out with wire guide not square or level/perpendicular to faceplate & bobbin. So that is something else to check.
          Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

No chuck... got a variable speed bench grinder modified. Since I started this thread, my checks prove my shaft spins true .. it's my attachments that need replacement. If I could only get my pictures to post @#$&^%$#$!$%!!!! I'm fixin' to dome another set of humbuckers this week. I'll put a level on my guide shaft to see how that's sitting relative the , however; my first 3 or 4 bobbins were wound with no guide ... just my fingers - only to meet up with the same result. Therefore, I'm placing ALL blame on my bobbin holder setup.

On the posting pictures thang ... I get to the proper screen, hit 'browse', select from where my pics will be pulled (folder on my desktop), pictures are reduced to very small size (about 80 X100 pixels jpegs), click to load and nothing happens. The little timer circle goes round & round until I go get the 7.62 x54r and point it at the screen ... then the wife comes in with the rollin' pin and I quit
            My 'perfect winds' are the result of slow speed which drives me nuts. The one sided slope happens only at hi-speed when the bobbin is a blur. Funny thing is, I do stop about every 500 winds to look. The first 500 to a 1000 winds always go on 90 degrees to bobbin wall .. it's after that the sloping starts to happen. Weird ....

Comment

Originally posted by old guy View Post
              No chuck... got a variable speed bench grinder modified. Since I started this thread, my checks prove my shaft spins true .. it's my attachments that need replacement. If I could only get my pictures to post @#$&^%$#$!$%!!!! I'm fixin' to dome another set of humbuckers this week. I'll put a level on my guide shaft to see how that's sitting relative the , however; my first 3 or 4 bobbins were wound with no guide ... just my fingers - only to meet up with the same result. Therefore, I'm placing ALL blame on my bobbin holder setup.

On the posting pictures thang ... I get to the proper screen, hit 'browse', select from where my pics will be pulled (folder on my desktop), pictures are reduced to very small size (about 80 X100 pixels jpegs), click to load and nothing happens. The little timer circle goes round & round until I go get the 7.62 x54r and point it at the screen ... then the wife comes in with the rollin' pin and I quit
              My 'perfect winds' are the result of slow speed which drives me nuts. The one sided slope happens only at hi-speed when the bobbin is a blur. Funny thing is, I do stop about every 500 winds to look. The first 500 to a 1000 winds always go on 90 degrees to bobbin wall .. it's after that the sloping starts to happen. Weird ....
              Also check to see that the bobbins are straight and true.
              Especially with flatwork.
              Sometimes flatwork is all warped and whopper Jawed.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X