Newb hating PE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    **Sonny if you read this, can you give the model of the berz-o-matic soldering iron used!
    Bernzomatic Butane Micro Flame Torch and Accessory Kit-328630 at The Home Depot

This is the portable butane iron that I like. Keep a can of the refill butane around refill it often, and it will do a good job on anything that isn't too demanding. It won't solder for example, the joints in a guitar to the back of pots, not enough power for that, but it will do most things that are needed for pickup making.
    www.sonnywalton.com
    How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

BTW, I'm honestly and seriously trying to give away any of my hard earned pickup making/rewinding secrets to the world a little at a time, using this forum. At the least I'd like to share this info before my funeral or the time when alzheimers/old age/whatever kicks in too much. Not that everyone would like or even care that much, because their experiences might be different, but it would be a bloody shame to have found out some of this stuff from dint of hard experience, and then just take it to the grave without sharing as so many have already done. However, I do think I've got a while to last, so it will necessarily be done a little at a time.
      www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
        Bernzomatic Butane Micro Flame Torch and Accessory Kit-328630 at The Home Depot

This is the portable butane iron that I like. Keep a can of the refill butane around refill it often, and it will do a good job on anything that isn't too demanding. It won't solder for example, the joints in a guitar to the back of pots, not enough power for that, but it will do most things that are needed for pickup making.
        By the way I do use my Tenma soldering station at the bench and whenever at any other times that I can. I use the bench station much more often than the portable one on the winder. It's not like I use the butane iron all the time. That's mostly only for the soldering application separately on the winder itself. The best thing about a bench soldering workstation is that it will hold a set soldering temperature for literally days and the tip of the iron won't degrade at all. I have left mine on for several days on accident and at the end nothing was amiss. I like being able to control the temperature that well. The Tenma station that I have heats up in just a few seconds and it is great at holding the right temperature which also is adjustable. I'm sure that if I could have afforded a Weller or one of the other high reputation soldering stations at the time I'm sure it would have been even better. Whenever I have the choice, I will use the bench soldering station setup over the portable one every time.
        www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Working...
        X