Humbucker wiring question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker wiring question.

Hello everyone. New winder here. I was hoping you guys could set me straight on the wiring job I just did on my 1st humbucker build.

I wound both coils clockwise but for some dumb reason I soldered the starts leads together instead of the finish leads. I then soldered the slug finish to hot and the screw finish I soldered to ground. Is this going to work or did I ruin my first pickup already lol?

Appreciate any help guys. Thanks.

Originally posted by larams View Post
    Hello everyone. New winder here. I was hoping you guys could set me straight on the wiring job I just did on my 1st humbucker build.

I wound both coils clockwise but for some dumb reason I soldered the starts leads together instead of the finish leads. I then soldered the slug finish to hot and the screw finish I soldered to ground. Is this going to work or did I ruin my first pickup already lol?

Appreciate any help guys. Thanks.
    Yes that will work.
    As long as both bobbins are wound the same, you can either tie both finish, or both start leads together.
    And, if you want to change yours that should be easy enough to change.
    More or less the Industry standard on Humbuckers is both coils wound CCW, North magnet edge toward the slug coil.
    Then with that layout either tie both finish leads together, or use a 4 wire cable.
    With a 4 wire cable, you can use any combination, at the convenience of the the control cavity.
    Good Luck, and Welcome.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks a lot for clearing it up for me big_teee. Next time I'll do it the standard way and wind CCW.

The way I did it will the magnet orientation be the same with north going to the slug side?

Comment

Originally posted by larams View Post
        Thanks a lot for clearing it up for me big_teee. Next time I'll do it the standard way and wind CCW.

The way I did it will the magnet orientation be the same with north going to the slug side?
        That will work fine.
        Where it all matters is when you use more than one pickup and try to match with other pickups.
        If you have a Seymour duncan in the neck, and put yours in the bridge of say, a les paul.
        They will both work fine independently, but when you go to position 2 middle position then they will probably be out of phase.
        With a 4 wire cable, it wouldn't matter, cause you can wire to match.
        Here is a chart that covers most 4 wire layouts.
        If you stick with the Seymour Duncan Layout, then you can use all the Seymour duncan wiring diagrams, without any alterations.
        Wiring Diagram
        Wiring Diagrams - Seymour Duncan
        I see you have discovered the Resources thread, There is a lot of Info Posted there.
        http://music-electronics-forum.com/t30228/
        T
        **If anyone else has anything to add, please do.
        Last edited by big_teee; 05-05-2014, 09:55 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Working...
        X