Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker sized fat wound P90

Hi.
    I'd like to start my first post by saying thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer questions,especially in the beginners section were they could become repetitive.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P90bucker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	869229
    I want to build a humbucker sized P90 with the coil wind going up to the edge of the flatwork (The coil is to be wrapped in string).The sides are no problem but the front/back would need spacing away from the pole screws,either by using a wide bobbin or magnets in between the bobbin /coil.
    So,what's the best method and is the pickup likely to sound decent or not (is it worth building?).

Thanks in advance.
    Graham.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
    Not sure I follow the diagram and intent?
    The way most P90s in a Humbucker, I call it H90 for short?
    Is to cut off a P90 bobbin, wind it mount it on a humbucker baseplate, and put a cover on it.
    The issues you have with shortening the bobbin, is you run out of winding space quickly because of reduced winding area on the end of the bobbin.
    So If I follow your picture, you have the coil of wire on the outside of the magnets and bobbin?
    Did you have and a baseplate in mind?
    Tnx,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks for the quick response big teee.

As you say the reduced winding area at the ends of the bobbin would mean less winding space.I was thinking a wide (jazzmaster style) coil would at least mean a longer length of wire can be used and keep the depth of the bobbin a standard P90 depth.I'm not sure what effect the wide coil would have on the inner pole screws,the two outer ones being closer to the coil.So the coil would wrap around either 2 bar magnets and a pole screw holder(?),or a rectangular bobbin with magnets underneath (normal P90 but rectangular bobbin).
      It would have a baseplate to keep it as near to a "proper" P90 as possible.

Comment

Still trying to get on board with your idea.
        The most efficient place for the coil is around, and near the pole pieces.
        The amount of turns is what makes a pickup a P90.
        The average P90 has 10,000 turns of wire. Will your design allow more turns?
        Or does your design just make larger coils.
        Normally the bigger the coil the darker the tone.
        The only other variable on a cut down P90 bobbin is bobbin height.
        With a slightly taller bobbin, you can put on more turns.
        Feel free to build your design, and report back on your results.
        GL,
        T
        PS: If anyone has any ideas, or insight please jump in!
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Thanks again big teee.
          I'll get back to you with any progress!

Comment

Working...
          X