HB with blades questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HB with blades questions

While looking at Mojo for parts there were things that didn't make sense to me.
    I see the bobbins, blades and magnets and the questions that I have are;

The mounting holes in the bobbins seem to be a different spread than what a baseplate has for slug/screw bobbins - is that true? If so what does one do because one side of the base plate is full of holes for screws.

It seems the distance between blades is farther than the width of the magnet- if true what does one do about that?

Does one use two maple supports for the outside of the blade coils? Don't they need support?

Thanks for any help.
    Michael

On the ones I've made, I had to drill new holes to mount the bobbins.
    I remember that the holes are outside the other holes.
    The blades are further a part, one option is to put a piece of steel shim between the magnet and the blade.
    You can use a piece of used wound guitar string for the shim.
    Another magnet option is to use the small ceramic magnets.
    Ceramic 8 Bar Magnet 2.35'' Long
    You either use 2 or 4 of these magnets, depending on the magnet strength you require.
    If you use the small magnets, they will shim and support the bobbins.
    Others please Jump in.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

You can use F spaced (53mm) baseplate ,the bobbin mounting holes will line up (but not exactly perfect) with the outside screwpole holes of the 53mm baseplate .
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Thank you guys. Good to have confirmation. I'll give it a go and see how it works out.

Comment

Finished them and it wasn't so bad.

I resized the metal shim that is for the screws to fill in the space between magnet and blade and made a couple of maple spacers.
          If I had gone with the short-legged bases with the holes down the middle it would have made it easier. It wasn't hard to modify the base ears. Easy to break off and bend/tap a shorty. The two of the bobbin mount holes are tricky...to close to the baseplate screw holes but works out Ok.

Now I have to wait until I finish building the guitar to hear how good or bad things went. They sure look good though. I filed and polished the blades
          so nice and shiney.

Comment

Working...
          X