Coils to a lb ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coils to a lb ?

About how many coils- like Strat singles- do you get from a 1lb roll?

I haven't kept track and no more than I wind it would be some time before I could get a ball-park answer so thought I'd ask.

I really don't need or want to know details like how to figure exact footage per coil or such. Appreciate just an estimate.

Stewmac says this about a 1/2 pound.
    Each 1/2-pound roll has over 25,000 feet of wire, enough to wind 5-6 single-coil pickups, or 2-3 humbuckers.
    That sounds like a conservative estimate to me.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry.

I never noticed their estimate. I guess their price for 1/2 lb scared me off.

They want $41.27 including shipping for a 1/2 lb and I can get two 1 lb rolls for $59.00 including shipping elsewhere. They're nuts sometimes.

Comment

A quick (almost accurate) guide

1 oz of 42 AWG Plain Enamel = about 3200ft or about 1650-1750 Ohms
        1 oz of 42 AWG Heavy Formvar = about 3100ft or about 1650-1750 Ohms

So
        - a 5000 turn Humbucker Bobbin wound to 3700ohms would come in with 2.25oz of wire (7 bobbins per lb)
        - a 6000 turn Strat Single Coil wound to 6000ohms would come in with 3.5 oz of wire on it (4.5 bobbins per lb)

Comment

My turn. . .

According to the Electrisola wire data table for single build AWG 42 nom we have:

a) 1,652Ω per 1,000 feet of wire
          b) 0.0195 lbs. per 1,000 feet of wire.

So, if a 6,000Ω pickup uses 3,631.96 feet of wire (6,000 / 1,652), and 3,631.96 feet of wire weighs .07082 pounds (3,631.96 X (0.0195 / 1,000)), then one pound of wire should make 14.1203 (1 lb. / 0.07082(lbs/pickup)) pickups or 7.060152 coils per half pound. Well, in theory anyway and assuming I did all the math properly.

Now, if excessive wind tension stretches the wire whereby reducing the diameter and increasing the ohms/1,000 ft., then. . . . .

I agree with Terry, StewMac's estimate sounds a little conservative assuming 6kΩ bobbins.
          Last edited by kayakerca; 03-31-2015, 12:33 AM.
          Take Care,

Jim. . .
          VA3DEF

Comment

Interesting!
            Here is some Remington data on a pound roll of 42 Single.
            http://www.remingtonindustries.com/dp/B007TUQW1K
            They claim that a pound of 42 has 51,313 feet of wire in a roll.
            51,313/16 = 3207.0625 feet per ounce.
            Then you can multiply and divide from there.
            I buy large rolls and use it until its gone!
            Also since I do a lot of experimenting, I cut a lot of mine off with the exacto knife!
            So I get less per pound.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird Steve View Post
              A quick (almost accurate) guide

1 oz of 42 AWG Plain Enamel = about 3200ft or about 1650-1750 Ohms
              1 oz of 42 AWG Heavy Formvar = about 3100ft or about 1650-1750 Ohms
              Ooopsies ... Jim is correct. Resistance is per 1000ft not per oz as I stated.

So you should get a HB bobbin in for around 0.70oz or about 22 per spool and a Strat coil should weigh in at 1.12oz and you should get 14 as Jim correctly says
              Last edited by Lyrebird Steve; 03-31-2015, 03:58 AM. Reason: ... more bad math :)

Comment

Thank you guys. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird Steve View Post
                  Ooopsies ... Jim is correct.
                  When my wife saw your post, she said "WHAT! ! ! Well don't think you're ever going to hear that in this house!".
                  Take Care,

Jim. . .
                  VA3DEF

Comment

Jim, that's funny!
                    My Bride and I have Separate Laptops, and She doesn't get to read MEF!
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Working...
                    X