Humbucker vs Trembucker--number of turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker vs Trembucker--number of turns

First let me say that the help I've gotten on this forum is unbelievable, and I have to thank everyone for their help.

I have made several standard spaced (49mm) humbuckers, and found winding formulas that I like. I have a few guitars with tremolos, and I was wondering if there is a good way to determine the number of turns on the trem spaced (52mm) bobbin that will give me the same or similar resistance measurements as 49mm spaced bucker. In other words, if I put 5250 winds on a 49mm coil, will putting 5250 winds on a 52mm coil yield the same resistance? If not, is there a conversion formula that will help me approximate the number of turns I will need on a 52mm bobbin to get the same resistance? I'm assuming that the wider spaced 52mm coil takes fewer turns to get the same length of wire wound on the bobbin.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    --Jonathan

use the coil estimator
    http://www.jdguitarworks.com/coil/coil.html
    Last edited by copperheadroads; 04-06-2015, 02:49 PM.
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

+1 what Copper said.
      But, you do have to make adjustments to the bobbin length in inches.
      So use the 50mm PAF bobbin data and adjust the core length to the length of your 52 or 53mm bobbin core.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by jschweid View Post
        if I put 5250 winds on a 49mm coil, will putting 5250 winds on a 52mm coil yield the same resistance?
        As long you keep your TPL, Tension and coil geometry the same, your "recipe" on a 49.2mm bobbin will sound the same on a 52mm, with a little bit higher DC reading.

Without a context, DCR readings mean NOTHING.

HTH,
        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
        Milano, Italy

Comment

Subtracting 3% of your turns should be in range .
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Yes DCR does mean something, just not everything.
            If you are a hobby winder without a counter, it's the only metric you have.
            In that case use the DCR with the aid of the Coil estimator.
            I wound 5 years without a counter, not Ideal, but you can make decent pickups without one.
            Use what you have, and enjoy the ride!
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 04-09-2015, 03:17 AM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

The other thing to consider is most guitars you are putting a trem spaced pickup will have a longer scale and often a brighter, more harmonically rich, acoustic sound. If you want a similar sound a few extra turns can warm it up, or go with a different magnet. I may approach pickups differently as I make the pickups to fit the guitars I build and go for a "sound". Vintage specs are not that important versus the sound and feel.

I have only done trem spaced HBs for a couple of Jazzmasters (mustang bridge) that wanted to keep the clarity and fatness of a regular JM pickup without the noise. I used JM covers without holes and it looks really futuristic and sounds great for surf.

Comment

Working...
              X