Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead/Ground on Single Coil

Hey guys,
    I have really enjoyed the thread, so much good info! I have a question about connecting the lead and ground wires, because I have seen two different opinions and just wanted some insights. Some have said that the ground should be the inside, start wire of the wind, and others have said it should be the finish wire, closest to the outside. Any reason for the different ways? Thanks!

I'm of the ground on the inside mindset.
    If you put output on the inside and touch the magnets, It IMO is noisy, because of inductance.
    I try to put output on the outside and ground on the inside wherever possible.
    So a modern rule of thumb for modern strat single coils?
    Neck and bridge wound CW, South up black on the start.
    Middle wound CCW, North up, black on start.
    However you can find them wired every which way, now and through the years.
    GL,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks a lot for the reply Terry, I was doing the opposite, so will try that out, its an easy enough thing to change and play with. I tried one of these pups in the middle position (CCW, North, black on finish), and by itself it was nice and full, but when i was in 2 or 4 it cut the volume (the other two pups were Seymore Duncans). Any ideas on why that might be?

Comment

Originally posted by ThrustDust View Post
        Thanks a lot for the reply Terry, I was doing the opposite, so will try that out, its an easy enough thing to change and play with. I tried one of these pups in the middle position (CCW, North, black on finish), and by itself it was nice and full, but when i was in 2 or 4 it cut the volume (the other two pups were Seymore Duncans). Any ideas on why that might be?
        Sounds like yours is out of phase with the other two SD pickups.
        Try flipping the wiring over on your middle pickup.
        White to ground and black to + output.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I will try that.
          It is a single coil wound with 42 AWG poly, 8000 turns, 6.2 resistance. But it seems to be lacking in treble, or very mid ranged and dark, not really like a strat. I don't think being out of phase would cause that? anything else that might be going on? There are so so many factors to get my head around still

Comment

If all three pickups sound good by themselves?
            Only problem is in 2 & 4?
            If yes, Then that is a phasing problem.
            One pickup needs the phase changed, and it is logical to change the middle one.
            You do that by either reverse winding, or swapping the wiring, which electrically does the same thing.
            T
            Terry

Comment

The volume only happens in 2 and 4. But the pickup overall sounds dark, kind of like woodsy rather than bell-like

Comment

What is your dimensions between the flats, somewhere around .435" or so.
                Also are you taping your magnets?
                Are your magnets fully charged.
                Check with an ohm meter between the start lead and each magnet, and make sure none of them are shorted.
                Are you winding loose, medium, or tight.
                A Strat pickup is usually pretty easy to get to sounding good in neck and middle, if you don't overwind them.
                T
                Terry

Comment

height between the flats is about .44". Magnets are not taped, would you recommend tape/lacquer? Magnets aren't fully charged (i dont have a gauss meter, so can't be sure, but they feel a lot less magnetic than other single coils), I'll be getting new N50 magnets for charging next week. Doesnt seem to be any shorts on the poles. Windings are medium, perhaps leaning slightly towards the loose side. Hopefully I will be able to switch the phase tonight, and maybe that will make a difference. Haha, I thought they seemed pretty simple to put together, and the readings looked good. Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Sounds like your magnets need a good charging with NEOs.
                    I tape my poles.
                    Some guys dip in lacquer.
                    Whatever works for you.
                    Hang in there, you will figure it out!
                    Anyone else want to add anything?
                    Please jump in!
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Working...
                    X