Single coil size humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coil size humbucker

I was looking at Mojo's for the parts for single coil size humbucker and thought I'd ask if anybody here has wound any.

If so I'm curious about the details. I mean if I attempted I wouldn't know the wire size, number of wraps, if it was split which side would be the one heard, how are the leads from the coils connected to the fiberboard and 4 wire lead.

The only magnet I could find there was a ceramic 8- is that all there is and it would be used for N/M/B positions?

Thanks for any tips,
    Michael

You can start with this thread.
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t27783-2/
    A lot of the micro blade pickups is just shoot from the hip.
    C8 is it, but they sound pretty good actually.
    Data, you're pretty much on your own, no published data, as far as I know of.
    The 4 wire cable can be done several different ways.
    I sold several, and I got to where I just put them in the bridge position.
    That way you can get single coil Neck, and middle tones with humbucker rock tones in the bridge.
    GL,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry.

I saw the holes in the Mojo fiberboard...couldn't really tell but they appeared to be for eyelets.

Yeah, I couldn't find any published data. Good to know I'm not alone.

Michael

Comment

I use 44SPN wound to 15k ohms or so, for the bridge.
        On the neck & middle I would use 42, or 43.
        Or, go with SCs in the neck and middle, if you want those regular strat tones.
        The eyelets should already be installed in the flatwork.
        They are tedious to make.
        GL,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

The guy that is asking me to make him some has 3 of them in a custom guitar he had made. ( He also has a guitar I made for him)
          I've seen photos ( he lives in England) and it has the half-moon type in the bridge spot- the others are the HB type.
          When his builder is back from vacation he's going to get the readings on them.

I'm thinking I'll pass on this. It's already a hassle interupting other pleasures.

Glad I went with regular HB's in my last builds and coil splitting? I'd rather play a guitar with singles- personally just don't care for the split-coil trip.

Well, I've known the guy awhile and at least wanted to check things out and make a good call. I think passing is good one and when I expain why he'll understand.

Thanks for your time and help Terry.

Comment

Here's the ones I made for a CW Player, in the test tele.
            These are low wound with 42SPN.
            Flatwork is mojo tele bridge blade flatwork, the neck and middle is mojo blade flatwork for a strat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	664.4 KB
ID:	837520Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010020.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	570.7 KB
ID:	837521
            Last edited by big_teee; 05-05-2015, 02:22 AM.
            Terry

Comment

Looks good Terry. Did you have to modify the pickguard and body?

I decided that being committed on my first attempt wasn't a good thing so now that I'm not I ordered the parts... so I'm free to screw-up all I can LOL...and probably will.

I didn't get half-moon this time around. All three round bobbin Strat style.
              I also ordered some covers to see the issue(s). I'd like to have a choice but I'm good with no covers.

Well I'm excited about it. I enjoy the challenge and if I do alright with these I'm sure I'd like to attempt the stacked type too.
              If it works out and they sound good I'll try to post some pics. If they don't or don't sound good...I'll be embarrassed and MIA.

Comment

The Tele was already a 3 pickup tele, with a black pickguard.
                This one http://www.rondomusic.com/stl622ts.html
                I took a regular 2 pickup pickguard and enlarged the neck, and made a middle pickup hole.
                It's not the best pickguard route job, but good enough to let a customer play the pickups.
                I never had any luck with the covers fitting over the blades.
                I stick with the half round bobbins.
                I tried to get Mojo to get us some white bobbins, but they were all talk and no action.
                T
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  I tried to get Mojo to get us some white bobbins, but they were all talk and no action.
                  T

Thought I'd mention how I cringe when I have to order from them. I placed an order 12 days ago and all I know is that they got the order.

I don't know why Tone Kraft doesn't expand. Pickup making for me would be much easier. Maybe someday I'll get to attempt some single size HB blades...maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwannano View Post
                    Thought I'd mention how I cringe when I have to order from them. I placed an order 12 days ago and all I know is that they got the order.

I don't know why Tone Kraft doesn't expand. Pickup making for me would be much easier. Maybe someday I'll get to attempt some single size HB blades...maybe not.
                    I try not to bad mouth any suppliers, but the big Mo is not on the top of my good list right now.
                    If you can buy something similar from someone else, I would whenever possible!
                    T
                    Last edited by big_teee; 05-21-2015, 04:53 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

If telling how a business deal goes down or is going down is bad-mouthing them...it's their own damn fault.
                      I did my part. I ordered and paid. They send an email they got the order and....nothing. 12 days and nothing.

Well I'm certain that this is the last time I'm disgusted with their crap service. Bad Mojo no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwannano View Post
                        If telling how a business deal goes down or is going down is bad-mouthing them...it's their own damn fault.
                        I did my part. I ordered and paid. They send an email they got the order and....nothing. 12 days and nothing.

Well I'm certain that this is the last time I'm disgusted with their crap service. Bad Mojo no doubt.
                        I here you.
                        In the pickup making process, I guess we just get parts where we can.
                        And, Be thankful we can get them.
                        I would be sending some emails about the 12 day service.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          I here you.
                          In the pickup making process, I guess we just get parts where we can.
                          And, Be thankful we can get them.
                          I would be sending some emails about the 12 day service.
                          T
                          Nope. Done with them. Don't care what they do about their service.
                          Glad I'm not in the pickup making business.
                          I use HB and singles so that's what I make. Don't need Mojo for either.

Comment

Working...
                          X