Closed cover humbucker art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed cover humbucker art?

Hello, everyone! I'm very excited to join this forum, I wish I knew about it before I started winding pickups.
    I've been successfully winding pickups for my friends and myself for quite some time and decided that I should add a little something special, a limited edition type thing to them. I was wondering if anyone tried acid etching raw nickel humbucker covers. I found this tutorial where a guy etches pedal boxes and it looks like exactly what I want to do, I just want to hear your opinions and experiences, if any.
    Also I've decided to use blade bobbins from Mojo along with their blades, it seems like a cheaper option with less hassle. Do you guys think this is a good idea, or should I stick with two slug bobbins instead. I just wish Mojo had special baseplates for rail humbuckers with no screw holes.
    Anyway, it is great to meet you all.
    Greetings from Brooklyn.

Hi Mark:
    Welcome to the forum.
    The vid looks pretty slick.
    Keep us posted on how it all turns out, and feel free to post lots of pics.
    The holes have always been an issue.
    I made some a long while back before they had all the small bar mags.
    I drilled extra holes used regular A5 bar mags, and used a steel shim to make the magnets wide enough.
    Thanks,
    T
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thank you for your reply, Terry. I just ordered a few covers and will be doing some serious chemistry once my artist finishes the designs. I've put a lot of thought into screw holes and so far it's either cutting pole screws and covering the holes that way (which th a touch of locktite), or cutting a forbon cover and just securing it to the bottom with the 4 brass screws. Either way, I will keep updating the results.

Comment

This is cool. What metals can be etched with ferric chloride? A quick Google search tells me I can get the ferric chloride solution at an electronics supply like Fry's (used for etching circuit boards), and there are other website with information on using it like this one The chemistry of ferric chloride.

Comment

Aluminium, brass and copper all can be etched with ferric chloride. Aluminium heats a lot when etched. I've mixed fc with more water when etching aluminium.

Comment

Working...
          X