Cigar Box Guitar Pickup Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the Reply!
    I've already ordered the parts for the strat blade.
    William at Tone-Kraft is making it all to my Specs.
    Tommy at TopCat CBGs, didn't want to spend much, and the strat blade pickup is the cheapest thing I could make.
    We have the brace height problem all worked out.
    I ordered 6 pickups from T-K, and that will get us started.
    William at T-K will make, assemble, & charge the pickup.
    All I have to do is wind and pot it.
    Tommy may decide to upgrade to something else later.

T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird Steve View Post
      Hi Teee,

I'm assuming you've already progressed well down the path with this one ... but a local CBG maker uses a P90 style because you can make them pretty flat to sit under the strings without a major route required.
      Something designed like a Fender Jazzmaster pickup would be even flatter, or like the new Gibson P90S pickups with alnico slugs instead of bar magnets. While Terry is going ahead with his plans for this project future visitors might want to weigh all of the various options.

Steve A.
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
        While Terry is going ahead with his plans for this project future visitors might want to weigh all of the various options.
        If we're going to make this thread a depository for pickup options, then somebody should mention the "Flatpup" design, which is thin enough to surface mount on a CBG body.
        http://music-electronics-forum.com/t37623/

I don't think there would be any intellectual property issues in building your own, especially for your own use.
        If some one wants to build a bunch for sale, I think he should first contact Elmar as a courtesy.
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

This thread had a selfish motive, and I was just trying to come up with something for tommy at TomCat CBG.
          In that respect, You're way late to the party.

Cutting a hole in a cigar box is really hardly an issue.
          You need to mount pots, and a jack in the guitar anyway.
          Also if you have the skills to make the pickup, I figure you have the skills to mount it?
          But, like you say, a surface mount is an option!
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Strat Blade update.
            I emailed William at Tone-Kraft, and my pickups are cut out and built.
            They should ship today.
            So maybe I can get this show on the road.
            I will post pics when they come in!
            Before and after winding.
            T
            Terry

Comment

I got the pickups from Tone-Kraft today.
              I wound one up, so Tommy could come get it tomorrow.
              Here some pics.
              The pickup came out to 5.85k
              I will probably wind another next week and stick it in a strat to try it out.
              BTW, I can't say enough good about the craftsman ship of the Tone-Kraft flatwork.
              No gooey gunk on it, and it is priced right.
              I have no ties to Tone-Kraft, but I like to give credit where credit is due!
              T
              Attached Files
              Last edited by big_teee; 05-07-2016, 12:07 PM.
              Terry

Comment

Here's 4 more pickups for Tom Cat Cigar box Guitars.
                He had a bunch made up with piezos but sold them at craft shows.
                He likes my blade Strat pickup, so He ordered some more.
                The blade bucker in the picture, is an old one I had.
                I'm donating it for an endorsement guitar.
                He's giving one to a pro friend of mine that plays great Slide.
                The bucker goes in it.
                Hopefully it will generate more sales.
                The magnet blade single coil, has nice warm tone.
                T
                Terry

Comment

CBG Bar P/U Winder Mounting

The only thing I don't care for winding the magnet bar blade pickup is mounting it on the winder.
                  Because of the blade and no center holes, The only way I know to mount it, is with double sided tape.
                  Once you ever mount and wind pickups with bars and screws it is hard to go back to double tape.
                  Anyone got any ideas on how I can more durably mount these to my winder?

Terry

Comment

hi terry
                    i had some pickup holders made for me by a tool maker. its made to the shape of the bobbin but allows the flatwork to protrude. i use the tailstock on my machine to hold it in place. i have various ones made for me for the different bobbins i use, ie HB bobbins, strat, tele, P-90, and a different one for firebirds. they work well and never fall out.

i'll make a pick of some when i get a chance

Comment

I use screws and hold down plates for everything that has a center bobbin hole or opening.
                      As a hobby winder I don't turn enough inventory to invest in pickup holders.
                      I will probably opt out on the CBG pickups. Too much Novelty and not enough functionality.
                      IMO the concept is a toy, not real guitars.
                      I will stick to winding, and repairing, for my regional semi-pro players.
                      Leave the Toys to someone else.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

I mounted one of these in a strat middle pickup position, to see what they sound like in a regular strat guitar.
                        It sounded very good and is stronger than a regular strat SC pickup. A bit of a P90 Vibe.
                        I had to lower the pickup to match the strat SC in the neck position.
                        With 9-10k turns of 43, I think it would make a P90ish bridge pickup.
                        Going to see if one will fit in a no holes strat cover.
                        If you want a new wrinkle on a Strat SC pickup, this one is worth a try.

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        Last edited by big_teee; 10-01-2016, 07:03 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

For mounting them to your face plate simply drill and tap two #4-40 holes where the 6-32 bobbin mounting holes are and counter sink them into the forbon. Use flush mount screws to mount them to the face plate so they dont get in the way of the wire when winding.

Thats how I mount these. 8,500w of 43 single build

Click image for larger version

Name:	A5 blade.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	995.9 KB
ID:	843827

Comment

The flatwork is already threaded.
                            I guess I could modify a bar attached to the winder, and thread screws into the flatwork from the back side of the bar.
                            The screws would have to be kept flush, or they would grab the wire.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              The flatwork is already threaded.
                              I guess I could modify a bar attached to the winder, and thread screws into the flatwork from the back side of the bar.
                              The screws would have to be kept flush, or they would grab the wire.
                              T
                              The reason I said to use 4-40 screws is because they'll slide right through the threaded 6-32 mounting holes in your flatwork.
                              I also mentioned countersinking the 4-40 screws so the wire wouldn't catch on them.

Simply remove the face plate, index the new holes, drill and tap them and you're done.

Pictured is a face plate I recently made with 4-40 holes for 49.2mm, 50 mm, 53 mm and 7 string HB bobbins. Also a center hole for Strat, Tele and others.

The center slot of the face plate is for magnets to fit in on pickups such as J bass, P bass (the 50 mm and 7 string HB holes are in that slot) or if I want to mount a Strat/Tele bobbin to reverse wind it without reversing the motor direction.
                              The square cutout is a relief for eyelets to fit in and the bar with the channel is a simple bobbin locker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New CNC Faceplate.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	843832

Comment

Nice faceplate, I don't have anything like that.
                                I would have to make a bar, so might as well thread from the back.
                                That way, I wouldn't need to do any screw counter sinking on the forbon front side.
                                Great idea though, and made me think about the back side.
                                I already have a visual, on how to do that with my particular winder setup!
                                T
                                Last edited by big_teee; 10-14-2016, 06:22 PM.
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X