Cloth and Paper tape for coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloth and Paper tape for coils

So, I've been to all parts, stewmac, mojotone. All have different options. All list their tape in different measurements.

What size tape should I use to cover the wind/individual coil of a humbucker?

What size tape for the the entire pickup?

1/4" for bobbins?

3/8" for full pickup?

I was thinking 1/4" paper tape for the bobbins

then after potting go with cloth tape.

Your on the right track!
    I use 1/4 inch black paper masking tape for coils.
    I have used 3/8 cloth for the exterior of the coil after potting.
    Now I use the .450" 3M #11 cloth tape for the outside, if no cover is used.
    If I put a cover on the pickup, I just use the 1/4" black paper masking tape.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Perfect. I was looking at that route too.

Paper tape around the bobbins and .450 cloth around the final product after potting

Thanks for the help!

Comment

I use Kapton tape to insulate the bobbins before winding. find the proper width similar to this .375" wide example and you're good to go

Lot of 2 High Temperature Kapton Polyimide Masking Tape 36 yd 3 8" | eBay

for something like a SCPB pickup where the coil remains uncovered, black cloth tape is my pref to apply after potting

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent View Post
          I use Kapton tape to insulate the bobbins before winding. find the proper width similar to this .375" wide example and you're good to go

Lot of 2 High Temperature Kapton Polyimide Masking Tape 36 yd 3 8" | eBay

for something like a SCPB pickup where the coil remains uncovered, black cloth tape is my pref to apply after potting
          What benefits do you find with insulating the bobbins prior to winding? I know some people do it to keep the wire away from magnets.

I'm just trying to be a sponge and soak up information!

Thanks!

Comment

On humbuckers, there is no need to tape the bobbin cores.
            You would only do that, when you wind over raw rod or bar magnets, primarily this applies to Single Coil pickups.
            Then you use the tape to keep the winding pressure from shorting the magnet wire to the magnets.
            You can use the Capton tape, paper tape, waxed floral tape, whatever you have that is an insulator.
            Some guys don't tape the single coil core at all, but dip their bobbins in lacquer, usually twice.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              On humbuckers, there is no need to tape the bobbin cores.
              You would only do that, when you wind over raw rod or bar magnets, primarily this applies to Single Coil pickups.
              Then you use the tape to keep the winding pressure from shorting the magnet wire to the magnets.
              You can use the Capton tape, paper tape, waxed floral tape, whatever you have that is an insulator.
              Some guys don't tape the single coil core at all, but dip their bobbins in lacquer, usually twice.
              T
              I just pulled apart a Schaller pickup - double hex screw model. It had tape around each bobbin and then tape around the full setup. It looks super clean

Comment

Originally posted by Timius View Post
                I just pulled apart a Schaller pickup - double hex screw model. It had tape around each bobbin and then tape around the full setup. It looks super clean
                Just to clarify my previous statement about not taping humbucker bobbin cores.
                I may not have been clear on my last post.
                That means taping the plastic core under your coil is not required, it is recommended to tape under the coil of single coils that are wound directly over magnets.
                Most of us still tape the outside of the humbucker coil with paper tape.
                Then clothe tape over both coils, after assembly, if no cover is used.
                If a cover is used, no second taping is needed, but if you do, you can use paper or cloth, your choice.
                T
                Last edited by big_teee; 05-17-2016, 11:59 PM.
                Terry

Comment

Working...
                X