Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New pickup wind sounds half dead

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New pickup wind sounds half dead

    New Strat pickup build with new magnets [6K ohms] sounds half dead. If there were a short in the coil my reading would be off but it seems fine. Weird.
    Update...... During the course of the wind I had to splice the wire back together. When I took my first reading it was 5.70K. When I played the guitar the pickup sounded dull and and not really comparable to the other ones. I pushed on the coil and the ohms jumped up to 6.24K. Looks like there is a problem with my splice! I thought a bad splice would result in a completely shorted coil but this one seems intermittent.
    Last edited by Brian W.; 05-03-2020, 02:52 PM.

  • #2
    If there were a short in the coil my reading would be off but it seems fine. Weird.
    Your PU measures 6 kOhm = 6000 Ohm. The resistance of one wire turn is typically below 1 Ohm. So if a few turns are shorting, PU resistance won't change noticeably.
    But output might be weak and dull.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 05-03-2020, 02:53 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      Your PU measures 6 kOhm = 6000 Ohm. The resistance of one wire turn is typically below 1 Ohm. So if a few turns are shorting, PU resistance won't change noticeably.
      But output might be weak and dull.
      Thanx! I just updated my post. When I physically squeezed the coil the ohms jumped up to 6.24K.

      Comment


      • #4
        Did you check to see if there continuity between the poles & the strat wire ? .
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          Did you check to see if there continuity between the poles & the strat wire ? .

          yup. I did. Nothing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Did you check to see if your magnets are all fully charged?
            T


            "If Wishes Were Horses, Beggars Would Ride!" Scottish Proverb 1600s
            Terry

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              Did you check to see if your magnets are all fully charged?
              T
              No. but they are new magnets. After I discovered the problem with the splice in the wire [mentioned above] I figured that was the cause of the problem.
              I re-wound the coil with new wire and things are back to normal,

              Comment

              antalya escort
              kartal escort
              sex vidio
              altyaz?l? porno
              antalya escort
              Working...
              X