Newly wound pickup coil reading differently after "cooling down"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mozz View Post
    As soon as you are done winding the reading will be higher. Let it sit for a hour or two. I have never seen soldering for 1second to bring the reading up.
    Soldering to eyelets will usually take longer than 1 second (especially if you are using Heavy Formvar or Heavy build poly) I suggest you do some more testing .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I've been military certified soldering since 1980 and never been in the military. I sand down any insulation and can guarantee you it takes less than 1 second to solder to a eyelet. Even if you held the iron on the eyelet you could not measure any resistance increase. What kind of testing you want me to do, I have about 30 pieces of test equipment.

Comment

The B/H is a no argument zone.
        No arguing please.

This thread so far, is pretty much a no content thread?
        Yes, DC resistance in small wire does go up and down with temperature!
        What else?
        Thanks,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

[QUOTE=big_teee;n908616]The B/H is a no argument zone.
          No arguing please.

This thread so far, is pretty much a no content thread?
          Yes, DC resistance in small wire does go up and down with temperature!
          What else?
          Thanks,
          T[/QUOTE'

The coil also tightens up a bit after cooling down [those two items are enuff content for me!]

Comment

I'm not arguing i'm stating a fact. If you think or know i am wrong, please correct me. He's soldering the eyelet then measuring the resistance. After it cools it goes down. All he has to "test" is do not solder, measure, let it cool down measure.

This is exactly how bad information gets spread across the internet. Lock the thread or delete it if i am wrong. If he or anyone wants to start a new thread on this and actually do some tests, i am more than game.

It's the friction from the felt, your fingers, the tensioners, and stretching the wire which causes heat. My pickups go 500 ohms over, then after a while they cool down. Not soldered at all. Just insulation is scraped off.

Comment

Got an idea to warm up the wire 'before' winding. Then it makes tighter coil when cooled down to normal room temperature, and you don't have to wind it so tight (breaks easier). If you warm it up to 50-60 ºC the copper wire would be approximately 1 meter longer on a single coil PU. Thats app. 0,1 mm per turn, if I calculated it right. Have to try that: you get tighter coil for "free".

Comment

Originally posted by okabass View Post
                Got an idea to warm up the wire 'before' winding. Then it makes tighter coil when cooled down to normal room temperature, and you don't have to wind it so tight (breaks easier). If you warm it up to 50-60 ºC the copper wire would be approximately 1 meter longer on a single coil PU. Thats app. 0,1 mm per turn, if I calculated it right. Have to try that: you get tighter coil for "free".
                Since the summers are around 100 degrees I was thinking of putting the spool outside for awhile..........

Comment

Working...
                X