Magnets extending below flatwork on Fender pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnets extending below flatwork on Fender pickups

Is there any effect on the sound of a Fender pickup when the magnets stick out below the bottom flatwork ?

Originally posted by Brian W. View Post
    Is there any effect on the sound of a Fender pickup when the magnets stick out below the bottom flatwork ?
    No.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

No.
      There have been a few instances when I didn't have any magnets of the correct length so I let them poke out on the underside of the pickup in order to get the winding finished. I always wondered if that made any difference in the sound..

Comment

There have been a few instances when I didn't have any magnets of the correct length so I let them poke out on the underside of the pickup in order to get the winding finished. I always wondered if that made any difference in the sound..
        PU output increases when the coil is closer to the strings. So having the upper poles of a strat PU flush with the upper flatwork allows to get more output without detrimental magnet effects like stratitis.
        Fully magnetized longer poles will still be stronger than shorter ones.
        I have a rewound set of 70s strat PUs with (originally staggered) poles deliberately set flush with the top flatwork and thus partly sticking out the bottom, that I really like.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I've been winding some Telecaster bridge pickups with a slight "arch" in the magnets. Both the "E" string magnets are just about flush with the top and the others raise up a bit more toward the middle. I'm not to crazy about the vintage stagger in the late 60's and 70's pickups.

Comment

It's a very common practice that does not have much effect on tone ,It does allow you to use stronger magnets or change the radius .
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
              It's a very common practice that does not have much effect on tone ,It does allow you to use stronger magnets or change the radius .
              Gotta be careful on Telecaster pickups...can't have magnets sticking out of the bottom interfering with the copper plate.

Comment

Gotta be careful on Telecaster pickups...can't have magnets sticking out of the bottom interfering with the copper plate.
                True, but I'd like to note that the "copper plate" is actually a steel plate with a thin copper plating. I think Leo did that to facilitate soldering of the ground wire.
                A solid copper plate would cause considerable Eddy losses.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

True, but I'd like to note that the "copper plate" is actually a steel plate with a thin copper plating. I think Leo did that to facilitate soldering of the ground wire.
                  A solid copper plate would cause considerable Eddy losses.
                  Yup, I'm aware. It's "copper coloured" !

Comment

Obviously i was referring to probably every other Fender pickup besides the tele bridge pickup .
                    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post

Obviously i was referring to probably every other Fender pickup besides the tele bridge pickup .
                      I was saying that for myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X