Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(1st timer Q) unspooling direction A or B? -- in order to avoid wire rotation tension (??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (1st timer Q) unspooling direction A or B? -- in order to avoid wire rotation tension (??)

hi,

I wonder if there is a twisting / "rotational" tension being generated as the wire comes off the spool (without the spool turning) ?

and whether that tension is something that need be handled?

and most practically, I wonder whether one of the two possible ends of the spool is preferable for a given the winding direction?

sorry if this question is stupid, but I modeled this with a belt spooled on a bottle and then just pulled off,
    and it was twisted, of course...

so the question is, which end of the spool would be better?

Click image for larger version

Name:	rotation_direction2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	954314

It's a trial and error thing.
    If it twists coming off the spool?
    As you mentioned, try turning the spool around, and spool off the other end.
    GL,

T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by pee-tr View Post
      so the question is, which end of the spool would be better?
      It doesn't matter which end of the spool the wire comes off of. However, sometimes you may find that one end has some rough areas on the lip of the plastic spool that cause the wire to catch a bit at the bad spot each rotation. If you run into that just flip the spool over and remove the wire from the other end (or sand down the rough spots where the tagging is happening).
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

thank you, gentlemen, very much

Comment

Working...
        X