Higher winds and TPL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher winds and TPL

Hey guys, this is my first post here, I’ve recently stepped into the world of pickup winding! I just wanted to clarify some findings with you all to see if I’m on the right track.

I’ve been trying to wind something close to my Gibson Super 57 just as a starting point, so I’ve been winding 5700 turns on each bobbin. I started with 65TPL but this sounded really grainy, with harsh treble. I upped it to 75TPL which sounds much better. I understand as you increase TPL you generally increase capacitance and lower the resonant peak, so I’m wondering, as you increase the number of turns it is normal to have to increase TPL? For the sake of tone? My thoughts are, as you’re increasing the output of the pickup the high end can start to get harsh. Does this sound right?

I should add the magnets I tried were A2 Rough, Smooth and A5 Rough. The harsh treble was present with all.

A 57 should be more of a standard 5000 turns per coil.
    IMO a neck pickup sounds best with less than 5k, and a bridge PU sounds best with more than 5k.
    Here is my data on a gibson 57.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-08-30 12-17-28.png
Views:	339
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	967430
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Yeah so the pickup in my guitar is a Super 57, which is even hotter than a 57 Classic+. The Classic has 5250 turns, Classic+ 5400 and Super 57 5750. People are often quick to dismiss these pickups but I quite like them!

I’m interested in your opinion on my TPL findings though. As you add more turns do you generally increase the TPL? From my experiments it seems the treble starts to become a bit harsh with higher winds, like 5700 turns, so you have to increase TPL to add more capacitance and inductance to bring the high end down a bit.

Comment

TPL and Tension is closely guarded by most winders.
        You didn't mention, but I presume this pickup is a bridge pickup.
        If you are making a new pickup, magnet charging is overlooked and important.
        Make sure the the magnet is charged consistently from end to end.
        Wire size is a varible that effects pickups.
        The old pickups used Plain enamel, and the wire diameter was larger, and now most 42 is much smaller.
        This beginner forum is for basic pickup building mechanics.
        Theory and electronic measuring of pickups is mainly discussed in our other pickup forums.
        GL,
        T
        **If anyone else has any insight on how tpl effects tone, please jump in!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2022-08-30 13-04-51.png Views:	0 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	967439
        Last edited by big_teee; 08-30-2022, 11:57 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Sorry I wasn’t asking for specs or anything, I’m experimenting to find the sound I want, I’m not asking anyone to share a spec. I just found that as I increased the wind count I had to also increase the TPL, otherwise the pickup sounded very shrill. I was just interested to know if others found the same thing.

Comment

Working...
          X