Reproducing a pickup - raise inductance without raising resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproducing a pickup - raise inductance without raising resistance

So, I’ve been winding pickups as a hobby for a while and I made quite a few pickups that I enjoy but for the sake of learning I’m trying to reproduce my favorite pickup I have.
    The pickup is a telecaster bridge, I’m using the same length alnico 3 magnets, charged them about the same, I’m using the same gauge wire (42) and the same copper plated steel plate.
    I don’t know the maker because someone gave me this pickup a long time but it’s super airy and detailed, lots of “3d quality”, great note definition, really full sounding, the plain strings are smooth but the wound strings are snappy and tight. The resistance is only 5.7k and the inductance is 2.65. Aiming for 5.7k my inductance is about 2.3, the pickup sounds great but it’s brighter, not as balanced and full sounding and it doesn’t bark the same way. I added a few more turns, got the inductance to 2.4 and it sounds closer but, again, for the sake of learning I want to try to match that pickup so what should I try next to keep the resistance that low but boost the inductance? I matched everything else in the pickup so whoever wound that pickup got that by the way they layered the wire in the bobbin, so I don’t want to add more turns or change anything other than how I’m winding it.
    Any suggestions?

You could try micing the wire and also measure the thickness of the coating of the original. When you say you charged the A3 about the same do you have a gauss meter? Not all A3 magnets are created equal. Trying a different baseplate might be change the inductance. there may be difference in carbon in the steel. I got a Syscomp oscilloscope that measures resonant peak. Definitely worth getting if you’re trying to match specs.

Comment

The original one has plain enamel wire and I’m using poly but I reckon whilst the difference in coating thickness can make a difference it wouldn’t make a significant difference.
      Yes, I have a gauss metre both my magnets and the ones on that pickup are charged to about 650gs.
      I have a few other baseplates from a different supplier that I’ll try out of curiosity.

Comment

It could be that the wire you’re using has a higher ohms per ft, so you’re reaching 5.7K with fewer turns. You need to match the number of turns instead of the resistance.

You could unwrap 1ft of the existing pickup to measure its resistance and from that calculate the number of turns, but you’ll still be left not knowing the TPL. I would just add more turns to get closer to your inductance value and experiment with TPL and Tension. Also experiment with your materials as StarryNight said.

Comment

I doubt very much you can measure 1ft of wire and get a good reading, unless you have a lab grade milliohm meter. Just keep adding turns to the one you are making, a lot easier to take turns off, wind until you hit your desired inductance. Also make sure your baseplate is flush, you can sand it on a very flat surface.

Comment

Working...
          X