Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telecaster pickup - magnet strength not equal

Hi,
    I bought telecaster pickup (supposed to be extra quality and scatter ) most of the poles have around 1100G but one is 500G. What do you think? Maybe 5 of them are Alnico5 and the weaker one is Alnico3?

Magnet is defnitelly weaker. Cant tell difference in sound but maybe this string sounds a bit less chunky.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	340310493_905755060648719_1115446731537539692_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.1 KB ID:	980861Click image for larger version  Name:	340527845_186004310950881_7363636435729182517_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.2 KB ID:	980862
    Thanks

Remagnitize it. If it gets stronger it wasn't fully charged. If it stays the same it is another formula or it's very short.

Comment

See here: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...974#post766974
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thanks for quick reply and link! Yes, will try to do it, Do you know how is this bottom cooper plate attached to the rest? Can see any screws, is it glued?

Comment

Base plate is typically glued. Should be copper plated steel as copper is non-magnetic.
          I don't think it's necessary to remove it.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Ahh, thats good, so you think I can put it in between 2 neodymium bars and remagnetize all of the poles?

Comment

I do not recommend using large neo bars as they didn't give me consistent results.
              See my method for charging single poles in the other thread.
              I have no experience with PUs having a baseplate.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I tested it on old telecaster pickups and it is working! Used smaller magnets and just slowly swiped the pickup between the poles.

Last question -do you think telecaster pickups are charged to full? Or lets say manufacturer degauss it a bit to shape the tone? I tested it on telecaster neck pickup and before was 750G and now is 850-900G. I tested one pickup and Inductance has changed from 3.6H to 3.4H.

Comment

1100G is about full for typical A5.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                  X