Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan SH-5 and DImebucker - trying to wind something simillar

Hi,

I tried to wind something simillar to Seymour duncan sh-5 and Dimebucker. After test in the same guitar and amp my pickups sounds pretty simillar but missing this massive boomy lows when playing on palm mutting.

Feeling a bit lost with it - I even swap the magnets for original and it is the same. Inductance and Resistance keeping similar as Seymour, but even if I wind something chunky with more Henries, pickup loosing highs but have no more bass (just mids increasing I guess).

Wire thickness - I am guessing a bit here, tried 43AWG (for SH-5) and 44AWG (Dimebucker) - both polyurethane coating.
    Im using CNC winder and magnetic tensioner.

I am trying to figure out is it because of different materials or not enough/to much tension.
    Do you know are they using alot of tension?

For example DImebucker have 17 ohm and coils looks fairly thin, I got the same bobbin winded (wire next to wire) with 44AWG to 17 ohm and my looks a bit wider - so it might suggest I should use even more tension.

Do you know how generally high tension affect tone of the pickup? Well we will have thinner coil, but as I noticed thiner can sounds more fat in this case.

Would appreciate any suggestions!

Try less tension
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Thanks, I will try! I thought Seymours are quite tight - they have alot of ohms and coils looks fairy thin. But yes, will loose it a bit and compare.

Comment

Hey. It was a great advice! I loosen the tension and got a lot of boomy lows, sounds pretty simillar, but a bit scooped (tried more/less winds and both missing a bit mids). Do you think I loosen tension to much maybe? Or there is any other way to add a bit more mids?
        I will try to increase a tension just a bit and see.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X