Strat Pickup Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Pickup Experiment

Hello everybody ! I've been away from the Forum for awhile and wanted to try something different [for me]. I wound a basically stock Strat bobbin [42 g wire with A5 magnets] but wrapped approx. 1/8 " of tape around the magnets before winding the coil wire. This made a fatter coil but without adding any resistance to the pickup. It reads out to 5.60 K so normally it would sound a bit thin and vintage - ish in the bridge position. Putting the coil further from the magnets should do something to the sound but I'm not sure what.
    Inductance issue??

A wider coil means a larger average wire loop area, so will result in larger inductance with the same number of turns
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-22-2024, 09:30 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      A wider coil means a larger average wire loop area, so will result in larger inductance with the same number of turns
      Taking a bit of the treble out of the pickup...

Comment

But when you increase the turns number without the padding you would get increased inductance AND increased output.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

But when you increase the turns number without the padding you would get increased inductance AND increased output.
          Would the treble [highs] increase as well?
          I thought the greater inductance would yield less high end.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian W. View Post
            Would the treble [highs] increase as well?
            As before the increased inductance will somewhat lower the resonant frequency.
            More turns will increase output at all frequencies

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The idea is to increase the size of the coil but not increase resistance.

Comment

The idea is to increase the size of the coil but not increase resistance.
                Forget the difference in DC resistance, it doesn't matter for sound.
                PU signal is AC, not DC.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Forget the difference in DC resistance, it doesn't matter for sound.
                  PU signal is AC, not DC.
                  What I should have said is I want to fatten up the tone a bit by increasing the physical size of the coil. [but not adding wire]

Comment

What I should have said is I want to fatten up the tone a bit by increasing the physical size of the coil. [but not adding wire]
                    Fine if your method gives the desired result.

[but not adding wire]
                    I don't understand, why.
                    It doesn't take much wire to increase inductance, as inductance increases with the square of turns.
                    So 10% more turns will result in about 20% more inductance - maybe more than you get with your padded coil.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Try making the coil shorter between the flats.
                      That will make a fatter coil with same amount of wire.
                      T
                      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        Try making the coil shorter between the flats.
                        That will make a fatter coil with same amount of wire.
                        T
                        yowza.....Thanx for reminding me about that! Lately I've been making neck pickups that are taller than usual.

Comment

Working...
                        X