No announcement yet.

Humbucker with vulcanised fibreboard??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker with vulcanised fibreboard??

I was wondering if anyone has made a humbucker bobbin with vulcanised fibreboard.
    Ignore for a moment that cheap plastic bobbins exist!
    I have a diode laser so can cut the top and bottom flatwork accurately. I was thinking of 3 d printing the middle portion and bonding it all together. (I’ve 3d printed and was potted a HB sized p90 successfully so can reasonably manage any wax potting/ heat issues)
    It would be for 5mm pole pieces.

One way to find out is just to get on and do it and I will do. Just wondering if it was ever a thing? Anyone tried?
    what are your immediate thoughts?
    I know it is simpler to just buy plastic ‍♂️ But I like doing stuff.

Originally posted by AntoGlover View Post
    My immediate thought is, why not?

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

That’s good enough for me!

Comment

Originally posted by AntoGlover View Post
        I was wondering if anyone has made a humbucker bobbin with vulcanised fibreboard.
        Ignore for a moment that cheap plastic bobbins exist!
        I have a diode laser so can cut the top and bottom flatwork accurately. I was thinking of 3 d printing the middle portion and bonding it all together. (I’ve 3d printed and was potted a HB sized p90 successfully so can reasonably manage any wax potting/ heat issues)
        It would be for 5mm pole pieces.

One way to find out is just to get on and do it and I will do. Just wondering if it was ever a thing? Anyone tried?
        I know it is simpler to just buy plastic ‍♂️ But I like doing stuff.
        I use a CO2 laser to cut P90's, both to top and bottom flatwork and the 1/4" spacer. Works great. Don't know anything about diode lasers, but if they can cut 1/4" maple, you can make perfect bobbin spacers like I do with the P90 format. Actually, my avatar is a humbucker I cut with the laser but with alnico rod magnets vs flat bar magnets and ferrous screws and slugs.
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

hi kayakerca,
          I do not have a laser, but I made a lot of HB-Bobbins with my cnc-routers. I use what's called multiplex in europe to make the center part between the forbon plates, or I use alnico mags, just like it's done
          with strat pickups.I like it much more than plastic!!

Comment

Working...
          X