Where to tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to tap

Cut up some flatwork for a Jazzmaster-sized pickup with A5 polepieces but more space between the top and bottom of the coil than a standard Jazzmaster. Currently winding it with #42, and I thought I'd like to experiment with tapping the coil. But as I'm winding, the thought occurred to me: If I wanted to have a tap that allowed me to add, say, another 1500-2000 turns to the basic coil, would it be better to have those additional turns on the inside, closest to the polepieces, or on the outside/perimeter of the coil? Because it is a taller pickup, the inner turns are not going to take up very much space, so the rest of the coil is not going to be moved much farther away from the polepieces.

I'm not expecting any sort of this-is-the-correct-way response. Just wondering, if it was you, and you were putting 7000 turns on a coil, with an option for another 2000, would you want them on the inside or the outside? Would you expect any particular tonal difference, for example, because of inductance?

Responding sooner, rather than later is appreciated since I'd need to know if now is the time to make the splice.

Thanks

Instead of exploring tonal difference by making a taps on the pickup coil, better experiment is changing the type used PU core.
    For a given number of turns (predefined), the inductance of the PU coil (therefore and tonal difference) depends on the type of PU core used.

It's All Over Now

Comment

Thanks, but the pickup has already been started, so it's a bit late to consider other cores. I have 2100 turns on the polepieces at this point. I need to determine whether I should just continue, or install a junction. On the other hand, I guess there is nothing that prevents me from having a junction between the first 2100 and next 5000 turns, and another junction between that portion and a second set of 2100 turns on the perimeter. I suppose I could let any audible difference between use of the "inside" and "outside" 2100 turns let me decide.

Comment

Working...
      X