Mix between different impedance pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mix between different impedance pickup

When you passively mix two very different pickup (for example an "high power/overwound" bridge PU with a "low wind" neck PU), the low powered one tend to dominate the mix, reversing the volume differences you have when the single PUs are selected. I attribute instinctively this to the fact that the lower impedance loads the high powered pickup more than the opposite. For example, I have this problem with Ibanez RG equipped with DMarzios Fred (bridge) and Humbucker From Hell (neck).
    I don't like this effect, as I prefer PUs combinations where the tone is very different from both the "single" selections (no single PU dominates the mix). This is - obviously - best achieved with very similar/PUs, but in this case I'm searching for a compromise between "specialized PUs" and "good/useful combination".
    In your experience, wich are the biggest factors to match to keep a good "mix": well chosen impedance, or resistance, or turns count, or some other?
    Thanks!​
    m.p.

I mentally schematize what is evoked as a question of inductance, mainly.

"High power overwound" = high inductance.

"Low wind" = low inductance.

Both in parallel will exhibit a lower inductance than the weakest pickup, giving the highest pitched resonant frequency obtainable from 2 PU's (splitting options aside, of course). Hence a "thin tone", closer to the sound of the weakest pickup.

A simple way to "correct" that would be to add a low value capacitor, connected from hot to ground only when both pickups are in parallel...

Now series wirings can be interesting too, IME/IMHO, especially when they involve OOP or half OOP signal paths.

FWIW. YMMV. :-)

Comment

Working...
    X