Burns Tri-Sonic magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burns Tri-Sonic magnets

The original Tri-Sonics were made with two magnets, whilst the copies/reissues have a single magnet. What's the reason for having two magnets? All I can think of is that the smaller magnets could be used in their Dual-Sonic pickups without having to stock different magnet sizes.

In this article by Bernd Meiser (being a knowledgeable EE and GITEC board member) the author states the the original patent showed a single block magnet while production PUs used 2 smaller magnets for availability reasons:
    https://www.gitarrebass.de/workshops...reble-booster/

From the point of physics there shouldn't be a difference in performance if magnet material and strength are the same.

Some more info: https://dsgb.net/faqs/trisonics/
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 04-04-2023, 05:41 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thanks - I hadn't seen the Bernd Meiser article. I have some Korean-made copies that I'm intending to rewind as per the originals and also reduce the overall height to get the dimensions more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
        Thanks - I hadn't seen the Bernd Meiser article. I have some Korean-made copies that I'm intending to rewind as per the originals and also reduce the overall height to get the dimensions more accurate.
        Are you going to wind them as air coils like the original Tri-Sonics or did the Korean ones use bobbins? The most accurate Tri-Sonic clones I know of are the Adesons, and I believe he even uses the original machines that Burns used to wind the air coils.

Greg

Comment

I'm going to wind them as air coils, so some work to do to make a collapsible former. They currently have bobbins and don't actually sound bad, but I'd like to use them as the basis for experiment.

Comment

The air coils with collapsible formers look like an interesting way to make pickups, though a little more work than with bobbins. Will be interested to see and hear what you end up with!

Comment

Working...
            X