Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spice model for noisless "strat" type pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spice model for noisless "strat" type pickup?

The stacked humbucker design used by almost everyone..

Anyone have an Idea how to approach this? The design seems fraught with electrical parasitic anamolies and I don't have the tech chops to even guess.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

No significant electrical anomalies.

Here's a translated chapter from Manfred Zollner's book:
    https://gitec-forum-eng.de/wp-conten...-pickups-c.pdf

Page 5 shows the equivalent impedance circuit of Fender Noiseless Strat PU.
    Circuit values are :
    Ro: 9600R, R1: 110k, R2: 4.5k,
    L1: 1.77H, L2: 0.7H, L3: 0.17H,
    C (not shown) at output terminals: 47p.

To use as simulation model insert your signal voltage source between the lower end of Ro and ground.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thank you Helmholtz. The noisless pickup in that chapter would be the Lace Sensor. Which is quite different from the current stacked offerings. I did find a thread on another forum where someone had taken some actual measurements (see below).

In the modern noisless the coils are the same and there are extra slugs in the lower coil only (see below). I assume this is to increase inductance in that coil though I couldn't say why. There is an iron shield between the coils which is said to mitigate string information reaching the lower coil. The two coils are indeed reverse wound, reverse pole with this design so since any string information that reaches the lower coil is north polorized it's generally regognized that there is some phase cancellation of signal.

I did model it like a humbucker with the information shown below but with one coil signal voltage inverse phase and at a much lower output. This should be a decent approximation of what's happening with this design and the simulated results do "look" like how these pickups are said to sound when compared to a standard single coil. Finite details of output from each coil would be necessary for real accuracy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shwu1.png
Views:	148
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	986872
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        Thank you Helmholtz. The noisless pickup in that chapter would be the Lace Sensor. Which is quite different from the current stacked offerings.
        No, look at the colored picture at the bottom of page 5. It's a stacked PU.
        Total inductance adds up to 2.64H. Middle or bridge PUs might have somewhat different values.
        The partial inductances with parallel resistors take care of Eddy current effects in ferrous parts.

A "Lace Sensor" is not noiseless.
        It's equivalent circuit is shown on a later page of the Zollner article.

There' s no need to use 2 sources with 2-coil PUs as the all signal is filtered by both coils.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-01-2023, 06:57 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
        X