Coweco CS Winder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coweco CS Winder?

Does anyone have one of these? I'm curious to know if the traverse rate and distance are variable without changing a gear or a cam? I think Bill Lawrence uses one of these winders.
    They don't make them like they used to... We do.
    www.throbak.com
    Vintage PAF Pickups Website

There's a photo of one here:
    http://www.logwell.com/tech/servtips...il_winder.html

Comment

Thanks David. I have seen those pictures before. From the looks of it there seems to be a cam that sets the traverse distance that would need to be changed for different sized bobbins.
      www.throbak.com

Comment

Jon,

I am a new member to this forum but have been building guitars, performing restorations and winding pickups since the seventies as a hobby. My first professional winder was a COWECO Model W that I purchased in 1978. I also have a Model U, along with several Bachi 115s, one Essex and a Sincrofil. Most of the auto traverse COWECOs have similar design features with yoke and cam for traverse distance and change gears for turns per layer. The CS is no exception except for the cam.

While having never owned a CS model, I do have direct experience with two COWECO winders and have catalog information from the mid seventies on the CS. Additionally, I reviewed detailed pictures of one on eBay in early 2003 that I was trying to win. That particular unit sold for over $1,000.

The CS has an “adjustable cam traverse” which essentially eliminates the need for a different fixed cam for each bobbin width (traverse distance or height of pickup). This is covered under patent number 3,047,245 which was granted in 1962. The CS is also manufactured under patent number 3,051,885 which is for a compensated auto-stop. Both are very interesting reads.

So in answer to your question, if the unit you are looking at still has the adjustable cam, bobbin width accommodations can be made within the parameters of that particular cam (many sizes were available). However, TPL has to be made by changing the drive gears on the rear of the machine.

Standard equipment for the CS included one cam and gear set for one coil. Standard cam sizes include: .000”-.250”/ .250”- .500”/ .500”-.750” / plus larger ones. Each cam had a limit in adjustment traverse to ¼”. Maximum coil length was 2” and maximum coil diameter was 5.5”. Recommended wire sizes #22-#56.

The CS was a non-tailstock version, while the C had a tailstock. Both had the same winding head. The CS had a list price of $1,928 on the February 1, 1976 price list.

I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you need any more details. Are you considering buying one?

Jim
        Last edited by Jim Darr; 03-30-2009, 10:25 PM.
        =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Welcome to the forum Jim!
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks...glad to be here.

Jim
            =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info! I actually bought what I guess is a Coweco CS winder. According to the serial number it is from 1959. I got it for $250.00! It is a cool machine. I'm hoping I can upgrade it to have a tailstock. Either way it was a steal at $250.00 in my book. It is a very solid machine and can wind faster than I would ever want to. Mine has a cam that will do a little under 1/4" to a little over 1/2" traverse.
              www.throbak.com

Comment

Jon, I'm still waiting to hear back from my friend on that info you wanted. I'll email you when I get an answer.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks Dave. If I can get the number I may be able to find the parts to upgrade mine to a tailstock model which would be really cool.
                  www.throbak.com

Comment

I own a COWECO model CS winder, and the mechanical counter part. Looking at the counter with the cover off, It looks like a giant complicated watch with lots of little gears. I have no idea how to fix it or which part broke. Does anyone know how I might get it repaired? I'm located in Massachusetts.

Comment

Working...
                    X