No announcement yet.

How did you get your faceplate 'true'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you get your faceplate 'true'?

I'm building a winding machine (not explicitly for pickups - but they're on my radar)...one thing that bother me is ensuring the faceplate is 'true'.

I'm using a fairly precise CNC winding mechanism & when winding with wire just measuring 0.10mm dia, it's fairly essential to ensure that where the wire winds onto to the bobbin outer edges that the face plate is true. In my preliminary testing with my Mk1 machine...if I start the wind with the wire rubbing against the bobbin edge, sometimes as the other end of the bobbin comes round, the wire has gone past the bobbin 'recess' & wound onto the actual bobbin edge.

Now I've just bought a mini lathe ...& I'm sure the answer lies in there somewhere - but I'm presently clueless wrt to actually using it!

I'm curious as to how others (ie who have built their own machines), got their faceplate running totally true ....or if your faceplates aren't true what type of runout are you seeing/accepting? (I define 'runout' here as not being the typical 'circumference'/perimeter runout - but runout on the face plate vertical surface as it turns.
    Last edited by peskywinnets; 09-08-2009, 08:33 PM.

Mines dead nuts true, but then again I machined the faceplate true while it was on the spindle. Probably about the only way I can think of ensuring it runs out cleanly. Are you sure it's the faceplate and not the flatwork being off flat? Sometimes flatwork will curl a bit, so I always check them all for flatness before I even start winding.
    www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by peskywinnets View Post
      I'm building a winding machine (not explicitly for pickups - but they're on my radar)...one thing that bother me is ensuring the faceplate is 'true'.

I'm using a fairly precise CNC winding mechanism & when winding with wire just measuring 0.10mm dia, it's fairly essential to ensure that where the wire winds onto to the bobbin outer edges that the face plate is true. In my preliminary testing with my Mk1 machine...if I start the wind with the wire rubbing against the bobbin edge, sometimes as the other end of the bobbin comes round, the wire has gone past the bobbin 'recess' & wound onto the actual bobbin edge.
      Sounds like the faceplate is wobbling because it is not perpendicular to the rotation axis.

Now I've just bought a mini lathe ...& I'm sure the answer lies in there somewhere - but I'm presently clueless wrt to actually using it!

I'm curious as to how others (ie who have built their own machines), got their faceplate running totally true ....or if your faceplates aren't true what type of runout are you seeing/accepting? (I define 'runout' here as not being the typical 'circumference'/perimeter runout - but runout on the face plate vertical surface as it turns.
      It's called wobble, not runout (which is something else).

It is impossible to drill the shaft hole sufficiently close to perpendicular with a hand drill of any kind.

One can do reasonably well with a drill press, so long as one "trams" the table. Tramming is adjusting the table to be perpendicular to the rotation axis of the drill press spindle. This is done with a dial indicator that is attached to a rod held in the spindle and swept in a circle by hand rotation of the spindle. When the table is perpendicular, the dial indicator reading will not vary as the circle is swept.

But the better way is to make the faceplate on the lathe. Bore the hole for the shaft and face the plate without removing the faceplate from the lathe, and adequate perpendicularity if almost guaranteed.

Comment

My faceplate is just a rectangular piece of 1/8" aluminum. It mounts to the shaft using a simple collar that was carefully centered on the plate and glued using 3M DP810 polyester adhesive, doesn't wobble at all.

Comment

Thanks for your input fellas...I've been on some engineering forums & now have some good guides how to make a faceplate with my mini lathe.

my present winder faceplate is simply made out of acrylic and 'forced' onto the motor shaft- the 'wobble' actually isn't that bad ...probably in the oer of 0.1mm-0.15mm (I tend to wind with much thicker wire than you guys!). I'd like to get even less though.

Just to give you an idea of my faceplate, here's my CNC winder...

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/6553/14811707.jpg

That left hand stepper is the main motor...the stepper to the top right of picture is the auto traversal (just a piece of M10 helix threaded rod inserted over the stepper motor shaft). The wire feeds onto the main motor over that helix. It's all controlled via a Mach3 plugin, that I modified to suit....

Last edited by peskywinnets; 09-09-2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I've mentioned it on a few other threads; I've got my own machine shop and a couple of lathes. I've made up faceplates and other parts for several guys' homebuilt winders. Let me know if you need any help. As Joe said, the best way to make up parts like these is on a metal lathe.

Comment

Well I've ordered up a lump of 3" round aluminium, some new lathe tools & a 4 jaw independent chuck - I've no excuse now I guess.

Thanks to you all.

Comment

Go for it!

Here's some tips on a good sequence of operations:

1.) Chuck up the slug of aluminum in the 4-jaw and indicate it in. (I presume that you know how to do that, or have been reading up on it?) Make sure that part of the OD of the slug is sticking out past the jaws, so the tool bit can be set to reach it. The amount sticking out should be more than the depth of the steps in the jaws.

2.) Take a facing cut, removing enough material to get a clean surface all the way across. This will be the temporary front face.

3.) Take a light cut on the OD, just enough to true it up, back as far as you can. Do NOT hit the spinning chuck jaws!

What you've done above is created a "pilot" which you can accurately clamp in the chuck.

4.) Loosen two of the chuck jaws and flip the slug over. When you seat it in the chuck this time, make sure that the smooth face is seated tight against the bottoms of the jaws, and the outsides of the jaws are clamping only on the machined surface. Indicate it in again, getting it within 0.001". Your indicator tip should be on the machined area of the OD, not on the rough part.

5.) Face off the back surface to clean it up.

6.) Use a center drill or a spot drill in the tailstock to put an accurate spot in the center of the back face. Don't skip this step! If you try to just drive a drill in, it will go off center.

7.) Drill the hole for the shaft using a good sharp bit. Ideally, drill it one drill size undersized, and use a machine reamer to bring it to the final size.

8.) Turn the back side to whatever shape you plan on. For example, you may turn it down to a 1" dia hub, to make it easier to put in a setscrew. Finish up all operations on the back side now, before you unchuck it.

The key thing here is to turn some cylindrical surface (like the hub OD or the overall OD) in the same setup that you drilled the shaft hole. This guarantees the shaft hole to be concentric with this "reference" surface.

9.) Flip the part over, chucking it on the reference surface, and indicating it back in, measuring on the reference surface.

10.) Take a final facing cut on the front surface to true it up, and clean up the OD if needed. If you did all of the previous steps carefully, it should be very close. This last cut makes the face exactly perpendicular to the shaft hole.

11.) In a drill press, drill and tap a hole in the side of the hub for a setscrew.

Note: The reference surface will always be there. If you ever need to resurface or modify the faceplate in the future, chuck and indicate it back on the same surface, and you'll stay true to the shaft hole.

Comment

I would be tempted to bore the shaft hole to final size. This removes any drill wander and irregular hole shape issues.

Comment

Well I've ordered up a lump of 3" round aluminium, some new lathe tools & a 4 jaw independent chuck - I've no excuse now I guess.
                    What is the length of this lump? I doubt that you can use a cutoff tool on a 3" diameter bar in a minilathe, as such lathes are too light and floppy for such a severe operation.

A bandsaw will cut the bar into suitable disks with far less drama. But be careful how you hold the bar, so it doesn't spin, or cause your hand to drift into the blade.

Comment

Wow...thanks Bruce, that was one helluva step by step guide you've knocked up there!

Joe...I've bought a 100m (4") length of bar - you're right a parting off tool won't be up to it - I don't have a band saw, but I do have a hacksaw & a lot of energy!

I looked at boring bars...but being so new to lathes, I couldn't decide which size I needed (they all seems too big to be boring out an 8mm hole?!).

the stepper motor shaft size this faceplate is going on to is is 8mm diameter (just a tad over 1/3")

re all those that are saying their faceplate is bang on true - bearing in mind most are winding with wire measuring just .005mm and have 'limit bars' at each end of the traverse, I doubt most would notice any out of true they've (likely) got! But like I say, my bobbins are very narrow (about 3.8mm width for the wire to be fed into) & the wire I'm using is much thicker - plus it autotraverses...any misalignment is all too apparent in this scenario!

Comment

Sure, you can saw 3" aluminum bar stock with a hacksaw. You'll get a little arm exercise, but it isn't as hard as you might think. Two things will make it much easier:
                        1.) Use a new 18 tooth/inch hacksaw blade
                        2.) Keep a can of WD-40 there and squirt a little bit on the blade and down in the saw slot every 30 seconds or so.

I'd saw your 4" long slug right in half. A 2" long x 3" dia faceplate should be about right. You could turn the backside down into a 1" dia hub if you want to spend some fun time making chips on your lathe. On a mini lathe like that, it's going to take you an hour or so, because it just doesn't have the horsepower to peel off much metal per pass. But you don't have to turn it down to a smaller hub if you don't want to. Leaving the whole part 3" dia would work too.

Joe's right that the most precision way to make the shaft hole would be to drill it about 0.015" undersize, then bore it to within 0.002", and finally ream it to the exact size. But I think that's a little overboard, since you're just getting set up and learning lathe work. Boring a 8mm dia x 1 3/4" deep hole is a little tricky for a beginner.

The simplest thing is to buy a new, good quality 8mm drill bit. With good technique using the spotting drill, that will work for you. The 8mm drill bit will cut the hole just a tiny bit oversize.

The better technique is to drill the hole 5/16" (0.3125") with a good drill bit, and then bring it to the finished size with an 8mm (which is 0.3150") reamer. The reamer will cost you about $18, but it will save you time and (almost) guarantee that the hole will be the right diameter. I bought an 8mm reamer specifically for making up a coil winder faceplate for a customer. 8mm is a common shaft size for small motors, so you may find many other uses for the reamer on future projects.

Comment

One general question, what is the make and model of your mini-lathe?

Joe...I've bought a 100m (4") length of bar - you're right a parting off tool won't be up to it - I don't have a band saw, but I do have a hacksaw & a lot of energy!
                          An alternative is to buy bar bits already cut to the right length. But the hacksaw will work fairly quickly in aluminum. But you will need a large enough vise - you cannot handhold the workpiece and saw it at the same time.

I looked at boring bars...but being so new to lathes, I couldn't decide which size I needed (they all seems too big to be boring out an 8mm hole?!).
                          There are plenty of small enough boring bars. You also need a boring bar holder that mounts on the carriage. Poke around the LittleMachineShop.com - tooling, parts, and accessories for bench top machinists website.

Where are you in the world? (It's useful to add this to your profile.)

the stepper motor shaft size this faceplate is going on to is is 8mm diameter (just a tad over 1/3")
                          Actually, 8mm is almost exactly 5/16" (=7.94mm): 5/16" is a standard size.

Another near-exact-match diameter is 5/32" (=3.97mm).

re all those that are saying their faceplate is bang on true - bearing in mind most are winding with wire measuring just 0.005mm and have 'limit bars' at each end of the traverse, I doubt most would notice any out of true they've (likely) got! But like I say, my bobbins are very narrow (about 3.8mm width for the wire to be fed into) & the wire I'm using is much thicker - plus it autotraverses...any misalignment is all too apparent in this scenario!
                          I agree. Anyone not having a dial indicator will not be able to measure wobble with any accuracy.

One thing I have found useful is to make two plates of thickness equal to that of the bobbin flanges with oblong holes to accept those flanges. One plate goes on the faceplate, the other on a backing plate held in place by a screw through the bobbin (or held by a tailstock). The two plates make it impossible for the wire to hang up on the edge of a bobbin flange.
                          Last edited by Joe Gwinn; 09-12-2009, 03:31 PM. Reason: Added make and model question.

Comment

Hello Joe,

To fill in the gaps....

My lathe is a UK variant of a Sieg C2 model 300 (DRO version), apparently the following are more or less the same lathes (feature wise) but with different badges...

03911 Homier 7x12 Mini Lathe
                            33684 Harbor Freight 7x10 Mini Lathe
                            93212 Harbor Freight 7x10 Mini Lathe
                            5278 Cummins 7x12 Mini Lathe
                            82500 Micro-Mark 7x12 Mini Lathe
                            82710 Micro-Mark 7x14 Mini Lathe
                            G8688 Grizzly 7x12 Mini Lathe

I live in London, UK (profile updated).

Finally, I do own a dial indicator so can measure runout/wobble etc.

Comment

My lathe is a UK variant of a Sieg C2 model 300 (DRO version), apparently the following are more or less the same lathes (feature wise) but with different badges...
                              Ahh. A 7x12. It was my guess, based solely on commonness.

Finally, I do own a dial indicator so can measure runout/wobble etc.
                              Essential tool for sure.

As for the faceplate, I think I would just drill and ream the 8mm hole, as boring to a diameter is one more thing to learn, and machining your first hubbed faceplate will be plenty.

Bruce Johnson mentioned using a spotting drill to start.

MSC Item Detail - KEO #33383

This is essential, and one cannot use an ordinary drill bit, as they are too flexible. Pick a spotting drill whose point angle matches that of your drill bits for most accurate hole placement.

Comment

Working...
                              X